cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator mounting for pick up

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I recently installed a residential refrigerator in my camper and wanted to install a generator in my pick up bed that I could secure and run on my longer trips. I searched on line for generator boxes but could not find one that suited my needs or budget. I wanted something light weight that I could secure to my truck bed without drilling anymore holes and would allow me to run my generator while traveling. This is what I came up with. Total cost was around 80 dollars

The welding is not that great, out of practice and my hand shakes so be gentle.

I'm happy with it and it suits my needs. Just thought I would share.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4
7 REPLIES 7

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
What about when you make turns does your hitch hit the generator.....I had mine behind the hitch and the fairings hit when I made turns....

I have hooked RV up and towed with it and all seems good. It's hard to account for all situations but I can extend it out from the hitch if it needs more room.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
What about when you make turns does your hitch hit the generator.....I had mine behind the hitch and the fairings hit when I made turns....

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
This is a excellent idea and you executed it well nice job. I have the same gen set and been wanting to do the same as in run AC when traveling. How do you plan on running power cord to gen set?

I put a 30A marine receptacle by my front baggage door and ran the wires through a 50A transfer switch with priority to 50A service. This post will probably explain it better. Wasn't hard at all to do and the marine cord locks into the plug so less chance of it pulling out. I plan on running the cable across the pin box so I don't take a chance on the pin box cutting the cord when turning. The generator has a remote start so I can turn it on and off from the cab.

I did put a third transfer switch in that would allow generator to power the AC's when on generator power but not on the inverter. It would have been less complicated had I not wanted an inverter. It all took about day to install.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
This is a excellent idea and you executed it well nice job. I have the same gen set and been wanting to do the same as in run AC when traveling. How do you plan on running power cord to gen set?
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
I see nothing wrong with your welding job. I can say for sure it's a lot better than what I would do. I never learned how to weld. Good job.

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I wished I could make better looking welds but they are good welds. I was fortunate to have a brother in law who took the time to teach me the basics. For anything structural, I have him weld it for me.

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job and looks to be very secure!

Just makes me wish I had learned to weld at sometime during my life. Hopefully, my grandson will teach me once he learns.