cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hanging Kayaks from your Ladder?

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
So I saw a guy with what looked like a "Camco lawn chair rack" hooked to the bottom rung of his ladder. He had a kayak's nose in the open part of the rack and ratchet straps holding the kayak to the ladder. the bottom of the Kayak was slightly below the bumper and the top wasn't as high as the AC unit.

Now first impressions was BRILLIANT!! I had a short trip this weekend that was less than 10 miles from the house. I strapped 2 kayaks this way to the ladder and they rode beautifully. I think I'm going to order a bike ladder rack for this.

I know there's going to be a bunch of people that are going to be strongly against this. In my defense Im almost 300LBS and the ladder doesn't care that i'm on it. 2 kayaks weigh around 70-80LBS.

I guess my question is have you ever seen this before?
4 REPLIES 4

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Google reveals a multitude of companies producing ladder-attached racks in various configurations for hauling bikes, kayaks, surfboards, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I carried our 10' Kayak on our ladder with a "lawn chair rack" just as you explained for several years with no problems. We bow carry them on the trucks roof as the new FW has no ladder rack

Just make sure you are not blocking the tail light.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Alabama last week and saw a yak strapped on a ladder. Another person had two yaks with the ends on a cargo rack and strapped to a cross bar attached to the ladder.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And almost all your weight is on one rung of the ladder. I believe it will work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad