cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heng's thermal vent lid covers

jimduchek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious if anyone has installed one of these. Double-paned vent covers. Unfortunately only in white, not in smoke, but for $20 seems like they might work to keep things a little cooler without losing the light from the vent. However, even Amazon doesn't really have any reviews for the thermal paned ones, and the only thing I can find is this article.
7 REPLIES 7

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I get what you're saying but I don't see any big thermal benifit to them based on the very small surface area they cover.

In fact,this is the first I've heard of them after 14 years on this forum. Learn something new every day!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jimduchek
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Those covers are not a bad idea but I do not see the advantage of them over vent covers like the Maxx Air covers that allow you to open the vent in bad weather, ie, rain. I went with the Maxx Air II covers and it's one of the best mods I ever made. Camco even makes a cheaper version. The upside is it allows you to leave the vent open if you like.

Well, the Maxx-Air covers are great, especially with rain, but won't provide any additional thermal barrier. Comparing dual-paned vent covers to the Maxx-Air covers is like comparing installing dual-paned windows to installing a window awning -- there are good points to both, and they both might help with heat, but it's a bit apples-to-oranges (and in both cases, you can have apples AND oranges -- doing both is not, I don't think, a bad or redundant idea.

Anyway, I'm not swearing by these things, I haven't got them yet, I am mostly just shocked that there's so little reviews/data on them. It's 'pretty well known' that dual-paned windows are much more insulating than single-paned windows, so I can't imagine vent covers being any different, but these things have been around since at least 2011, and are fairly cheap... so kind of just surprised there's not people either swearing by them, or swearing at them.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Those covers are not a bad idea but I do not see the advantage of them over vent covers like the Maxx Air covers that allow you to open the vent in bad weather, ie, rain. I went with the Maxx Air II covers and it's one of the best mods I ever made. Camco even makes a cheaper version. The upside is it allows you to leave the vent open if you like.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
jimduchek wrote:
\ Fantastic Vent offers dual paned covers as well -- p/n's K2020-00 and K2020-19 in clear and smoke (not sure if they offer a white as well). They seem a bit pricier around $40-50,\

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated. Time to start shopping!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

jimduchek
Explorer
Explorer
RollandB wrote:
We used the pillows made for 14x14 vents. The one thing I can see these would do is help cut down on condensation when camped in low temps. I have two Fantastic Vents and didn't see anything on the two links that indicated they would work on those.

I have something similar to plug them up, but I hate losing the natural light. Fantastic Vent offers dual paned covers as well -- p/n's K2020-00 and K2020-19 in clear and smoke (not sure if they offer a white as well). They seem a bit pricier around $40-50, although I didn't go out of my way to hunt down the best price -- some places have the Hengs listed at $40 as well. I would prefer smoke but my vents are the elixir/ventline style, so only the Heng's would work for me.

Still, nobody seems to know about the Fantastic Vent thermal/insulated covers either. The vents let in/out a huge amount of heat (enough where the 'pillows' and such are almost standard issue among RVers). I guess I am going to buy some and see how they do.

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a fine product. I can't believe they've been around for so long without more exposure.

For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to try one.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We used the pillows made for 14x14 vents. The one thing I can see these would do is help cut down on condensation when camped in low temps. I have two Fantastic Vents and didn't see anything on the two links that indicated they would work on those.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB