cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to secure a residential drop-in bathroom sink?

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering replacing my existing plastic bathroom sink with a china one like this which is a perfect fit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-Aragon-Self-Rimming-Drop-In-Bathroom-Sink-in-Bone-13-0012-4B...

The existing plastic sink has clip mounts around the underside of the sink to secure it to the counter which is laminate/particleboard. This sink will not have that and the instructions say to just put sealant on the counter before dropping it in. This might be sufficient, if you use a construction adhesive like a Loctite Power Grab, but I don't think just a sealant would work in an RV. I could fabricate a piece of metal with a hole for the drain collar that would wrap up to the underside of the counter.

Do you all have any ideas?

thanks,
fred
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
X4....Just did a household sink the same way. Lay it in a good bed of silicone caulk/adhesive (clear or white as appropriate), let it sit for 24 hours (don't get tempted!) and then hook it all up. You will be good to go for many years to come.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Just like ScottG said, silicone will work just fine...
But, if you want to bomb proof it, use a 2 part epoxy....like Loctite or JB Weld.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
A sealer/adhesive should be able to hold it in just fine. Remember to wait 24 hours before attaching the plumbing.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Glue "L" shaped metal tabs to the underside of your sink and screw them into the underside of the counter
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3

and if you are still worried get some plumbers strap and run in from side to side and secure it under the counter top. Let the silicone set up first tho
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Just ;ole residential applications, I installed one with pure silicone in our last TT. It stayed put the rest of the 13+ years we owned it.
After installing, remove every bit of visible silicone for a clean, tight job.

X2

Silicone will work just fine.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just ;ole residential applications, I installed one with pure silicone in our last TT. It stayed put the rest of the 13+ years we owned it.
After installing, remove every bit of visible silicone for a clean, tight job.