cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed the Maxxair fan, odd find

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend we picked up the MaxxAir fan, simple 4 seed manual open,to replace the stock single speed fan in our Avenger travel trailer bathroom. With the vent cover over it that little fan barely pulled the steam from the shower out of the room much less drew any air through the trailer.
Anyway, Removal was as I expected except, when I lifted the fan from the roof,there was no Butyl tape. It had the same caulk that was on the top side covering the screws and flange. I don't guess it is anything "wrong" with it,but of all the videos and how to's I had read they all had butyl tape under the factory install. It did make for a longer prep for the new install.
Is this another example of Prime Time cutting corners? I've found a few...

Now I just have to adapt my perfectly good Camco cover to the new fan. MaxxAir fans are now made to only use redesigned MaxxAir covers.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT
16 REPLIES 16

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
mike-s wrote:
gaymeadowsman wrote:
there was no Butyl tape. It had the same caulk that was on the top side covering the screws and flange. I don't guess it is anything "wrong" with it,but of all the videos and how to's I had read they all had butyl tape under the factory install.
You're lucky. A lot of the sealants cure to be almost unremoveable, making it near impossible to remove whatever without damaging the roof. Good quality butyl tape (Dicor makes that, too) under, sealant on top. That way you can carefully cut through the sealant around the edges and easily remove whatever since the butyl won't act like a strong adhesive. That applies double for things with wide flanges, like the base for an antenna.

Why do you feel the need for the butyl tape if it didn't leak with the old vent? When I replaced the vent in our kitchen just lap sealant, easy removal, went back in the same way, dry to roof, then careful application of self leveling Dicor sealant.
Whoosh. The GP described sealant under the fitting, "It had the same caulk that was on the top side." I commented that in comparison, using butyl tape is the proper method, since it doesn't glue the fitting to the roof.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
gaymeadowsman wrote:
there was no Butyl tape. It had the same caulk that was on the top side covering the screws and flange. I don't guess it is anything "wrong" with it,but of all the videos and how to's I had read they all had butyl tape under the factory install.
You're lucky. A lot of the sealants cure to be almost unremoveable, making it near impossible to remove whatever without damaging the roof. Good quality butyl tape (Dicor makes that, too) under, sealant on top. That way you can carefully cut through the sealant around the edges and easily remove whatever since the butyl won't act like a strong adhesive. That applies double for things with wide flanges, like the base for an antenna.

Why do you feel the need for the butyl tape if it didn't leak with the old vent? When I replaced the vent in our kitchen just lap sealant, easy removal, went back in the same way, dry to roof, then careful application of self leveling Dicor sealant.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
Speaking of MaxxAir. I would like to find a MaxxFan 1200T.
I put one on our 2003 mh. In 2015 we bought a new mh, and when I tried to get another 1200T, I found that that model is no longer made. We liked that model so well that we want another.

Dusty

http://rvpartaccessories.com/products-page/rv-electrical-wiring/vent-cover-turbo-maxx-model-1200t-wt...

I found them, but they appear to be out of business. They did not respond when I tried to order one from them.

Thanks,
Dusty

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The lap sealant, did not leak rain, did it ?
And it did not dry out
And I bet it cost more money than the butyl putty tape

I would Not call that cutting corners

The cheap little fan, was cost cutter

Yous gots da point!

And point taken. :S
John ๐Ÿ˜›

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

MrWizard
The lap sealant, did not leak rain, did it ?
And it did not dry out
And I bet it cost more money than the butyl putty tape

I would Not call that cutting corners

The cheap little fan, was cost cutter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think he is talking about the little whirr and buzz being inadequate, not the new one.

a reminder, do not have the bathroom door closed, the fan on max and flush the toilet.

bumpy

Are you speaking from experience?
A lot of us speak from the same unfortunate experience. ๐Ÿ˜ž

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
gaymeadowsman wrote:

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I put one on our 2003 mh. In 2015 we bought a new mh, and when I tried to get another 1200T, I found that that model is no longer made. We liked that model so well that we want another.

Dusty

http://rvpartaccessories.com/products-page/rv-electrical-wiring/vent-cover-turbo-maxx-model-1200t-wt...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you had the same caulk under the fan that you had over the fan the manufacturer did an excellent installation job and you should have no concerns. This is fairly normal and very good installation using a Dicor type caulk under mounts.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

Dusty

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
Guy's
I just installed the same fan in the living area of my RV a few weeks ago, prior to a visit to the North Rim, and it seemed to work well enough to keep air moving in that larger area. I did use the Maxxair cover on mine which is supposed to allow additional air flow. I am surprised to hear you had such poor performance. Could you possibly have a reduced voltage at the fan due to poor connections? Just surprising to me since mine works so well.

Yes,I'm talking about the old fan being very weak. The MAxxAir fan preformed great. With both doors open I could got each one and feel air being drawn in.
I was was just surprised that Prime Time used Lap Sealant under the old fan flange as I have never seen or read of it before. That was mainly what my post was about.
John ๐Ÿ˜›

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think he is talking about the little whirr and buzz being inadequate, not the new one.

a reminder, do not have the bathroom door closed, the fan on max and flush the toilet.

bumpy

yep, as stated Holy carp
bumpy

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

Holy carp! Lesson learned.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy