cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the Knife Holder Hold Knives

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
Like many campers, my rig has a panel behind the stove that the manufacturer calls a "knife holder." The trouble is, that the slots are too large and the panel too thin to hold anything securely. The knives were always leaning over and the short ones would just fall out.

I solved the problem by adding a small magnet next to each slot (on the bottom side) to hold the knives securely. I found these magnets with screw holes from American Science and Surplus, but there are many places to find them.

Now my knives stay in-place and are easy to store.
9 REPLIES 9

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, I have one behind my stove and never used it. I wanted to put a stove cover on and it was in the way so I removed it and put a filler piece of wood in the gap and put my stove cover on.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/kitchen/13840861/
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We've kept knives in there the entire 10+ years we've had our TT. Never had a problem with them staying put but that's a great mod for those that do have issues.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doh, I too thought it was a vent for the oven. I'll put some knives in it next time I'm out to see if it really works (for knives).
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I think it's just a decorative panel to easily fill the space behind the stove rather than cutting a u-shape in the countertop. That way the RV manufacturer can claim a "shortcut" is a "feature".
Given the size of the slots, it certainly looks like an air vent, however RV manufactures call it a knife rack, but it's not a very good one. The slots seem to be sized for gardening tools more than kitchen knives.
The stove itself has a vent in the back, and the stove manufacturer does not require a vent behind it, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with the stove operation.
I've heard some speculate that it helps ventilate things that are mounted below the stove, such as a power converter, however there is no corresponding cold-air inlet, so there can't be convection cooling.
Honestly, my wife stuck some knives back there that were always falling and tilting, so I just made the best of the situation.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure those are knife holders? I bought a new TT in Nov 2014 that has those slots. I was thinking they were to vent the oven heat. My smooth top slide in at S&B has slots in back for venting so I thought the slots were for same purpose. Great idea on with the magnets. I just hope it is a knife holder, cause you are not supposed to block a oven vent.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I had a magnet tool bar holder. Mounted under the cabinet over the sink.
Works fine and everything is easy to get to, but out of the way.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. I finally just purchased a wooden knife block to hold mine, but this looks great.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Brilliant!

Now add a canvas "pocket" that encompasses all the knives below the surface as some have done to keep them clean and it will be perfect!