cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New water heater install help needed.

Jake4902
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my old suburban manual pilot light water heater and I was thinking about upgrading to the electronic ignition model. Besides the proper switch and providing power, is there anything else that is required? The water heater appears to come with the control board.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to run a FUSED 12VDC to GAS on/off switch location.
Then run 12VDC wiring from switch & fault light to DC Junction Box and connect to the OEM wires provided at junction box (DC Junction Box on left side of WH Tank looking from rear

If going with a combo unit (gas AND electric)
Need to run CB protected 120VAC to AC Junction Box ---right side of WH Tank looking from rear.
Unless you install and inside on/off switch....then from CB to inside switch to AC Junction Box where you can wire into OEM provided wiring

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a new Suburban electronic ignition water heater in place of a leaking standing pilot model some years ago in a 1986 Toyota/Dolphin Class C. A lighted switch came with it and all I needed to supply was the additional wire needed to reach the switch location and power source, plus the caulk for the heater opening. I don't know if the switch is still supplied though. Also, some Suburban models do not include the exterior access door and your existing door may not fit. The correct doors are available separately.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Youtube knows
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
make sure theres water in the tank before a test run.