cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old style propane cylinders

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 97 tt that is set up and left permanately at my mil lake property. We only use propane to take the chill off on spring/fall nights as needed. The propane has finally run out and I want to replace the old style cylinders with one 20 lb grill type cylinder. Has anyone done this? Do I still need a 2 stage regulator? Amazon has a hose with female end that looks like it will connect to rv black pipe and has a grill type regulator and type 1 fitting for cylinder. Will this suffice for our needs? Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I imagine things are the same in the US as they are in Canada? The newer style valve still has internal threads that will accept the old style hose.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should retain a two stage regulator. A search on amazon or a local supplier should yield new pigtails to put between the regulator and the newer style tank. If you only wish to use one tank, just swap on side and leave the other in place unless you secure and use a regulator used for a single cylinder. I've witnessed the changeover portion of a regulator fail and allow a tank to empty out when the second cylinder was not in place.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
From what Iโ€™ve read, my class c tank has asme type and tt will have dot cylinder. I guess by old style I mean whatever was put on tt circa 1997 (pol?) which is too small for type 1 fitting. Color me stupid but I thought that cylinders that wonโ€™t connect to type 1 were no longer legal. If that is not correct then I guess maybe I can just fill or exchange what I have.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What are the "old" type cylinders?

If it's just the old style valve in the tank, just swap it out for a full tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
LPG is Liquid PG that converts from high pressure to low pressure so YES you must use a pressure requlator. So you need an adapter from your tank to your regulator or a new regulator or both.

Check Amazon etc for all types of adapters. Suggest you get help as it's very desirable to have the correct connections.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you need a two stage regulator.
Normal threads on a regulator are 1/4 inch pipe or inverted flair. Black iron pipe on RVs is 1/2 inch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker