cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing carpet with laminate

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
We are wanting to replace the carpet in the living room and continue through the kitchen with click laminate plank flooring. Our question is, how do you figure how thick the planks should be. We have found 5mm up 7mm at Home Depot. Also, would we need to use the lippert slide slickers to keep the slide from scratching up the floor? Thanks for any info!
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts
8 REPLIES 8

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
The more expensive LVP or LVT has a better locking system. Some of the lesser product from HD was difficult to keep clicked together during installation. We've installed miles of the stuff and the best advice is the one that is a bit thicker over all thickness that is solid vinyl, no wood or fiber core in it but, solid semi flexible vinyl.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My old DP had the snap together wood look flooring for more than 10 years and I never saw a problem with it. I hate sand and filthy carpet.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
LouLawrence wrote:
If you like to travel in cold weather you might want to reconsider your choice. The amount of warmth maintained by carpet is stunning compared to a vinyl floor. Ask me how I know! I am looking for a new coach or trying to price new flooring with heating strips under the floor. BRRRR!

Well we went to vinyl plank flooring with area rugs that can be washed! We spent time at the beach, and the amount of sand under the carpet we pulled up was crazy.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyemunson wrote:
Best to use vinyl planks, the SPC type (stone polymer composite). The WPC (wood polymer composite) is not temperature stable enough for RV use. Neither is laminate flooring. The extreme heat and cold temperature swings in a stored RV will cause the joints to come apart and your floor to buckle up.

Temperature fluctuations will not be a problem. The laminate in my trailer is 10 years old and have never had an issue.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wear layer would be more important than the thickness. 22+ mil wear layer is the lowest I would go.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you like to travel in cold weather you might want to reconsider your choice. The amount of warmth maintained by carpet is stunning compared to a vinyl floor. Ask me how I know! I am looking for a new coach or trying to price new flooring with heating strips under the floor. BRRRR!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Very likely either thickness would work without issue.
The limiting factor would be anything that the flooring โ€œmustโ€ slide under like trim/baseboards or door thresholds. And even then there are workarounds, might just be more work to do is all.
Figure out how to handle these areas and if you feel thereโ€™s a max thickness that you need to try to stay under.

I second the vinyl snap lock planks recommendation. Best material for the application. For reasons mentioned and others.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Best to use vinyl planks, the SPC type (stone polymer composite). The WPC (wood polymer composite) is not temperature stable enough for RV use. Neither is laminate flooring. The extreme heat and cold temperature swings in a stored RV will cause the joints to come apart and your floor to buckle up.