cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resealing my steel roof

MacZulu
Explorer
Explorer
Well after our trip to the Yukon last September I inspected the roof and found a few spots of concern. Unfortunately our October had one rain free afternoon all month, and then (as most here will know) the winter was much worse than usual. So I am now just seeing to it.

After talking to a local rv service rep about eternabond tape, and seeing he was clueless to the fact that eternabond is supposed to be steel rolled to initiate it's patented adhesion. I guess they hand apply and rub it down and consider it done. So I believe in this case it is a matter of I'm better off doing it myself, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

After spending a few hours removing the old stuff along the driverside and all around the bathroom vent, I'm glad it's me doing the work myself (except it actually sucks doing the work). I have already found two issues. I don't know how they did it, but somebody made a large hole in my vent cap.

It looks like a cutting disc did it, also it's cracked around a few screws that look over tightened. I also found a small gouge in my metal roof right along the rail. I would rather find all the flaws myself and make sure they are repaired as best as possible. I will get a new vent cap that has the vortex head to "pull" odor out, and the gouge will be dealt with in the new seal job.

What I seem to have on the roof right now is two thin layers of rubber coating, which appear to have been applied consecutively. I say this because the top coat obviously shows weathering, but the undercoat looks clean. Under the rubber coatings is a very hard bondo like material that I suspect is from the factory (1989). I believe the bondo like material is degrading in some areas enough that the thin rubber coatings has cracked over the degraded areas from flexing during road travel. So I am removing everything down to the metal roof around all seals. The rubber coating is holding well in the flat areas so I plan on leaving that stuff for now.

What it looks like

Click For Full-Size Image.

My initial plan was to clean out the old stuff as best as possible, and use acetone and non-chlorinated brake cleaner (what eternacleaner is apparently)then rinse off and dry. Then I was going to use dicor lap sealent for both sides of the rail, and then apply the eternabond 4" tape. Eterna people say not to stretch their tape at all, that is why I am going to use the dicor to fill in the 90 degree angle, and then the tape on top. I am now wondering if I should take off the rail and apply the tape directely to the seam, then lay the rail on top and use the dicor on the screw heads. or even applying more tape on top of rail, doubling the amount of tape used ($) for a longer term fix.

So I am asking for general advice and relative experiences to help on my way. I used the tape and dicor when I installed my fantasic fan, and it seems to be doing very well so far. Other than that I have no experience.

My initial plan

the strip in the rail will still be in place for this set up, held solid by the bondo like stuff. I forgot to add that to my beautiful graphic.

ok another edit. After more research I am thinking I may be over doing it. Seems like a really good cleaning and apply the tape should be good for years. So I may just feel along all joins and repair the bad spots. Dig it out and use dicor to build it up, then tape on top.
4 REPLIES 4

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I sealed my aluminum roof with Eternabond tapes and also any through holes like vents and pipes. I did the roof trim edge much like your drawing, covering the screw fastened trim edge entirely.

I cleaned off the multiple sealants with a scraper, a right hand grinder with wire wheel and lastly, mineral spirits followed by lacquer thinner. I used Eternabond Roof tape along the seams and around through holes. I used Eternabond Webseal over the trim edge. Webseal needs to be coated after it is installed.

Webseal applied to trim edge:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Steel is great, but I find that highly usual, as most rolled sheet roofs are aluminum
Eternabond is great stuff
When I cleaned the roof edges and cap seams
I bought one of those vibrating multi tools
I then cut and used one of those Teflon type plastic spreaders used for Bondo fiberglass work as the blade, instead of the standard metal one
This way I could cut and scrape off all the old sealant and puddy without damaging the roof
And it a lot faster and easier than using a hand scraper
Btw I've used the tool and its various saw and scraper blades many times on other projects well worth the price, and my harbor freight version seems to work as well as the more expensive versions

That's a great idea
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MacZulu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips Mr Wizard. I will do a magnet test on the roof, I just assumed it was steel from the appearance. I'm on the fence right now about removing all the old sealant. The bondo stuff is very hard for the most part, and it covers the whole rail and join very well. I am thinking it is a more solid join than I would have with dicor and e tape. Maybe less (work) is more (effective) in this case.

I will look into the vibrating multi tool, but a heat gun and an 1 1/4" scraper wasn't too bad so far. I have about 12', bathroom vent, and 3 roof rack anchors cleared so far. I also have proflex, using proflex for the areas I've cleared with dicor smothered on top to "bulk" it up a bit to match the original before applying the e tape.

I'm not able to doing anything today, so I am sorting out my strategy.

MrWizard
Steel is great, but I find that highly usual, as most rolled sheet roofs are aluminum
Eternabond is great stuff
When I cleaned the roof edges and cap seams
I bought one of those vibrating multi tools
I then cut and used one of those Teflon type plastic spreaders used for Bondo fiberglass work as the blade, instead of the standard metal one
This way I could cut and scrape off all the old sealant and puddy without damaging the roof
And it a lot faster and easier than using a hand scraper
Btw I've used the tool and its various saw and scraper blades many times on other projects well worth the price, and my harbor freight version seems to work as well as the more expensive versions
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s