cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rewiring water heater

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
I want to rewire my water heater to have the on/off switch inside my trailer. Currently the switch is in the water heater housing which I don't like. The easiest way is to run a new switch wire from inside to the heating element and keep the switch at the water heater in the ON position at all times What bothers me is what else does the on board on/off switch controll, like the thermostat or some safety censor. Would appreciate y'all's expert advice before I burn my camper to a crisp.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch
11 REPLIES 11

Road-Trekker
Explorer
Explorer
To safely control the 110-VAC heating element through a remote DC switch, use a DC-AC solid-state relay. It's what I used when I added a 110-volt heating element to my Suburban water heater: https://www.roadtreklife.net/2016/03/120-volt-electric-conversion-to.html
Roadtrek Agile SS: Roadtrek Modifications

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The OP clearly has a Suburban water heater (as Atwood has never used a outside switch). Cheaper RV's do not install an inside switch, more expensive ones install a regular household type "snap switch" to control the 120v AC to the water heater, other mfgs buy the Suburban models that have the 12v DC controlled relay installed in them and operate both gas and elect off the dual switch control panel inside using 12v to control the WH (which is the way Atwood has done this for YEARS)

So yes, the easiest mod is to install a household type snap switch (pilot lighted is a good idea) in a electrical box and wall plate, and run the WH romex to it and from the switch to the WH. It will work fine that way.

If you think you want to install a new water heater in the future buy the Suburban model SW6DEL, the D means direct spark ignition of the gas, the E means it has an electric element, and (most important of all) the L means it has a built in relay so it can be controlled from a 12v dual switch panel inside with 16 gauge 12v wires and the romex that is run directly to the water heater.

6DEL and 10DEL switch panel, Suburban 233111 (and in white 232882 White, DEL On/Off Switch)
DO NOT use this panel with 120v AC power!!!

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Could you just turn off the breaker?
RVing since 1995.

raston
Explorer
Explorer
I used something like this...
Wireless Remote Control Outlet

Plugged Water Heater into this, and plugged this into the AC outlet the water heater was previously plugged into.
Also, using the second outlet, I ran a light duty extension cord with a cheap night light plugged into it to a spot where I could see it inside the trailer. It acts as a power ON/OFF indicator.

Works like a charm.:)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the rating on the switch? Should be 120 volts AC and light rated for 120 volts AC.
Or are you operating it through a relay?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice and information. The switch i have has a light that will tell be when it's in the ON position. I need this reminder because I keep it on 120v power when at home.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
afaik the inside switch is for propane, outside switch is for the electric. Each system is separate with separate thermostat. The board controls the propane ignitor and is powered by 12vdc.

Otherwise generally the WH electric element is on a separate breaker. Use that breaker as a switch.

I have two switches inside one for propane and one for electric, if I turn the elcetric one on nothing will happen unless the switch on the hotwater heater its self is on also. its a saftey switch to prevent unintentional use if say your on the inverter or a 15 amp breaker. what I normaly do if I am thinking I could use the electric part of the hotwater heater is flip the outside switch wheil I am setting up (takes 10 seconds) then I can control it from inside, but normaly I leave the outside one off so I cant use it on electric.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
chiefward wrote:
I want to rewire my water heater to have the on/off switch inside my trailer. Currently the switch is in the water heater housing which I don't like. The easiest way is to run a new switch wire from inside to the heating element and keep the switch at the water heater in the ON position at all times What bothers me is what else does the on board on/off switch controll, like the thermostat or some safety censor. Would appreciate y'all's expert advice before I burn my camper to a crisp.

The thermostat is not controlled by the "on board on/off switch".
You are safe to wire a new switch in series with the existing on/off switch located at the water heater.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
See page 25 of Atwood manual

See Page 8
Suburban manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
afaik the inside switch is for propane, outside switch is for the electric. Each system is separate with separate thermostat. The board controls the propane ignitor and is powered by 12vdc.

Otherwise generally the WH electric element is on a separate breaker. Use that breaker as a switch.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of water heater?
The outside switch is normally a safety switch for maintenance.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow