Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Queen to Regular Queen Mod Challenge: Floor Heater Vent

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,
We have a 2012 Jayco Eagle 308RETS travel trailer with an RV queen mattress (75"x60") and plywood platform. We would like to modify the platform to accommodate a regular-sized queen mattress (80"x60"). The challenge is that there is a heater floor vent at the end of the bed, which is free and clear now but would be covered with an extended plywood platform to accommodate a regular-sized queen mattress. Has anybody done such a conversion successfully or anybody have any ideas as to how to address the heater floor vent challenge?
Thanks, Mike
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch
11 REPLIES 11

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Couple suggestions, you could handle the additional length at the foot of the bed without extending the platform frame to the floor. A piece of plywood cantilevering the extra 5" would be fine unless you're trying to stand on the very end of the bed.
Or extend the whole platform however you wish but build a block out into it around the heater vent.

Well when we got our new to us 5th wheel it had a standard queen mattress, that hung over the end of support about 5". We also had under bed storage. I simply added 5" to the panel at the top of the bed moved every thing 5" towards the foot of the bed. Now the panel at the foot of the bed about 3.5' now hangs over 5" and gives plenty of support when sitting on the foot of the bed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use this in our home to keep register from blowing heat behind the drapes on a window.

Ships fromAmazon
Sold by KOHUIPU

Adjustable Magnetic Air Vent Deflector for Floor, Sidewall, and Ceiling Registers, (2 Pack, Clear)
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldnt, and didn't extend anything. its only 4" it will overhang and its where your feet are so no real weight on it. I did this in my last two units and never noticed that the last 4" was unsuported. if you feel you must extend it just make a cut out where the vent is in the wall and put a smaller box inside that to direct the airflow out.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikefos wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would extent the platform sheet and support with braces or legs rather than extending the full box.

Picture would help.

That would be the plan, just extend the platform, and not the box underneath. I'll get over and take some pics during the week, hopefully. My concern is what affect an extended platform would have on the heater vent, as I think it the heated air would just blow straight up into the bottom of the platform, and if there is bedding hanging over the lower end of the platform, the heated air would be trapped in there.

Vent Deflector

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I had to deal with my short queen back when I bought my trailer in 2005. But to answer your questions...

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the vent. At least in my trailer I can stand in bare feet on any of the vents and never feel more than warm air coming out. Meaning I've never had the temperature get anywhere near uncomfortable much less hot.

As far as putting a full size mattress on it you could easily just add a mattress to the existing base and it will probably be fine. But do you have to lift the bed to access storage underneath? If so you're going to have to put some stronger lift supports under the bed to be able to compensate for the longer and heavier mattress. On my short queen with a foam mattress topper and a sleeping bag or two the bed would barely stay lifted. I had to do some research off the labels on the supports to find they were 100lb supports. I upgraded to 120lb supports and now the bed works a lot easier and stays up with the bedding on it.

Here's what I did on my trailer. Granted it's not for everyone but it works for me. I added PVC legs to the solution because the person on the other side of the bed typically tries to go around the feet of the person blocking them for a bathroom break in the middle of the night. I didn't want to take a chance of the mattress flexing in the middle of the night and a knee or leg slipping off through the gap.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going to sit on the end of the bed? If not I would just swap out the mattress and go camping. It's not like the end of the mattress is going to sag with only 5 inches of overhang and I don't think your feet will know the difference. If you feel you have to extend the platform you could staple and glue a plywood cleat under the end of existing plywood and then staple and glue the 5 inch extension to that. No need to mess with the lower structure then. Good luck and happy camping!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Extend the platform not the box. A drop down leg at 1/3, and 2/3 of the width.

I have a friend who just used thicker wood. It appears to be working well. There is no additional leg.

Clearance on the side of the bed is definitely NOT enhanced.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not done this in an R.V., but I have in home remodeling.

Here's an example. Just add a 90 Degree Rectangular Elbow and a new grill.

3 X 10 90 Degree duct

Another option would be "L" brackets to support the extension instead of extending the box.

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would extent the platform sheet and support with braces or legs rather than extending the full box.

Picture would help.

That would be the plan, just extend the platform, and not the box underneath. I'll get over and take some pics during the week, hopefully. My concern is what affect an extended platform would have on the heater vent, as I think it the heated air would just blow straight up into the bottom of the platform, and if there is bedding hanging over the lower end of the platform, the heated air would be trapped in there.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Picture would help.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Couple suggestions, you could handle the additional length at the foot of the bed without extending the platform frame to the floor. A piece of plywood cantilevering the extra 5" would be fine unless you're trying to stand on the very end of the bed.
Or extend the whole platform however you wish but build a block out into it around the heater vent.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold