cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple and inexpensive roof vent modification (Vent Covers)

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Simple project...

I recently decided to add some vent covers on some of my RVs. It was a very simple modification AND the vents were on sale at CW for less than $30 each. It uses a smart bracket system to install such that you don't put any holes in your roof. Having vent covers allow you have keep the vent open when you are driving and also keep it open in any weather. While in storage, you can keep it open and it will allow some air exchange so that inside your RV isn't quite as stuffy or roasting in the summer heat.

Here it is installed:

While you are at it, if your rubber moulding needs to be replaced because it looks like this:

You can buy this for $6.50 per vent:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HZCW58V

and make it look like this:

(Note: That's actually a different vent than the one I added the vent cover to, but it's the one I had pictures for ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Happy Camping all!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
7 REPLIES 7

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the vent cover, my vent lid got brittle and cracked in 4 years. Yes, the TT is covered for winter.
So I replaced the whole cover. Cheapest on Amazon was about $22 each but I found a twofer for $30 so now I have a spare ๐Ÿ˜‰ Replacement is black, I like it dark to sleep. Between that black cover and my reflectix window covers, nap time is much easier!
I think I have the same MaxxAir cover as you, it went from white to yellow in two years. I took it off & spray painted it white again. Couldnโ€™t get well around the vent filter, though ;(

You really should replace that stock fan with a full size one. Then you can really move some air.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't like the MAXX vent covers as they have a screen and NOT needed as the vent already has a screen.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.campingworld.com/maxxair-ii-vent-cover-white-37732.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=%7bCampaign%7d&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy_HTu7f5-QIVLxXUAR3emASFEAQYBCABEgKa-fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-955001-White-Fanmate-Hardware/dp/B010D1VJQO

Here's an interesting "in between" option:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+vent+cover+with+hinge&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizp8u7t_n5AhW2LEQIHb_pBCkQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1408&bih=627&dpr=1.36#spd=16940200171864467020

Enjoy!
Chris
San Jose, CA

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
any source for the brackets with the clips? I did a search and couldn't find any. I have them on one trailer but not the other.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
at one time the MaxAir had a clip system so you could pull pins on one side, flip the cover up, clean up the inside of dust, bugs etc. Made a nice system.

However I haven't seen that available on current covers.

Those are still available, but they are more expensive. Convenient, yes.

For these, they are held in place with 4 nuts. If you wanted to remove the vent to clean it would take approximately 1 minute to do so. For less than $30/vent I figured I'd add a few and see how I like them.

-Chris
San Jose, CA

sofive0
Explorer
Explorer
I added those to our unit a few years ago and yes, they work well, with the clips/pins allowing you to be able to clean underneath.
2018 Ram 3500 Carolina Customs Flatbed w/gooseneck hitch, 6.7ltr Cummins Diesel Engine
2013 Heartland Sundance 3400QB
Eaz-Lift 15" Gooseneck Adapter

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
at one time the MaxAir had a clip system so you could pull pins on one side, flip the cover up, clean up the inside of dust, bugs etc. Made a nice system.

However I haven't seen that available on current covers.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!