cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar install

boje
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any other options wiring from the controller to the battery? Can you go directly to the converter?
2008 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 D/A
2015 Montana 3160RL
2018 Sportsmen Classic 180QB
11 REPLIES 11

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info!!!
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311SS *Diamond Package
Reese DC Hitch
2010 F150 Platinum(Max Tow, 3.73)
2010 Jayco 23B(gone, but not forgotten)
Me: Civil servant of our great nation
DW of 26 years: Teacher
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo
Too many blessings to count

babock
Explorer
Explorer
You want the controller as close as possible to the batteries. I would sacrifice a longer run for the PV cables than controller to battery cables.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
18-20ft run - unless you forgot to include the height - equals to 11ft or 13ft box. Even with a rig that small, for the effort, I would install at least 160W panel. You won't regret it. Or 280W 24V single.

50ft roll of #10 MC4 cable (to make 2*25 leads) would cost about $30, - hardly a consideration.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be aware that some controllers do not like the battery disconnected before the panels for service or storage etc. A battery switch could let the smoke out of the controller. Review the instructions and installation manual carefully.

boje
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. The way the roof is setup I have to mount the 100 watt panel to the rear of the trailer to avoid shadowing. Fridge vent is also at the rear with the converter next to it. PWM controller being utilized. Saves me around an 18 to 20 ft run of #10 once wired to the converter.
2008 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 D/A
2015 Montana 3160RL
2018 Sportsmen Classic 180QB

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You're talking about connecting from the solar controller to the converter at the same post/connection that the battery connects to? Electrically, this will be the same as connecting it to the battery. The only difference, as Almot stated, is the distance and voltage drop from converter to battery.

Maybe you want to do this to keep from running such a long wire to the battery when the converter is right there and already has made that long wire run? Makes sense then if so.

Do not connect the solar directly to anything other than the controller - solar can put out 18 volts and batteries need 14, no more or they can way over-charge or worse. The controller will control all of this.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not call wiring to converter a "direct" way.

You connect it to converter output, from there it goes looong way to battery. The longer the post-converter cable, the more volts you lose (with PWM), and at some point voltage could drop too low to charge properly. With MPPT you might have enough volts but you start losing watts from the very first inch of cable (and MPPT without volt-sensing feature won't maintain correct voltage at the end of the long cable).

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend wiring from the controler to the batteries with a disconect switch close to the batteries.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
boje wrote:
Can you go directly to the converter?
Yes

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can, if solar is small and controller is PWM. Make sure it won't get cut off like Mr Wiz said.

MrWizard
you can ... BUT i prefer going directly to the battery

your battery disconnect switch, might disconnect the converter
if so the solar won't charge when the switch is used while in storage
with solar wired to the converter

also,connecting directly to the battery provides the most direct charge path and the best possible charge to the batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s