cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VAN CAMPER COVERSION

SULTINI
Explorer
Explorer
Please advise. Purchased a Ford Transit to travel in. Installed a 30 amp shore power with small converter and 4 115 20 amp circuits. Now I have to run branch 20 amp circuits for refrigerator, rooftop A/C, electric 2 burner stove and an outlet or two. Running the wire through the channel slots to destination. What kind of wire should I use ? Romex 12/2, Romex 12/2 uf, romex 12/2 in flex tubing or what other type is suitable for this.
SULTINI
#1 18'NOMAD, #2 20'MALLARD #3 27'SUNLINE #4 30'C FOUR WINDS #5 40' INNSBRUCK. #6 28' AMERI LITE. #7 Forest River FW.
9 REPLIES 9

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, thanks.

Gary

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Just donโ€™t forget, you have to get that 120 volt service inspected. Doing so before you close it up will be a lot easier (read cheaper) to do.

Ditto if you install a fixed propane system and or plumbing.

Interesting point. Who would be qualified to do these inspections?

Gary

JaxDad is from Canada. There is no requirement in the States for any inspections. However, any portable propane tank(s) may be inspected by a refiller to ensure the service date has not expired.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Just donโ€™t forget, you have to get that 120 volt service inspected. Doing so before you close it up will be a lot easier (read cheaper) to do.

Interesting point. Who would be qualified to do these inspections?

Gary

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

SULTINI
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Happy traveling.
SULTINI
#1 18'NOMAD, #2 20'MALLARD #3 27'SUNLINE #4 30'C FOUR WINDS #5 40' INNSBRUCK. #6 28' AMERI LITE. #7 Forest River FW.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If the channels are on the interior of the vehicle, not exposed to the elements, Romex (NM-H) in flex tubing or otherwise protected against abrasion and cutting and properly secured against flexing/vibration is fine and typical. If exposed outside, I'd probably prefer EMT with wires suitable for wet locations or liquid tight tubing or similar. Generally RV 120V wiring is not run where it is exposed to the elements if it can at all be avoided (e.g. for everything other than connecting to a built-in generator).

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I used different color extension cords for the inverter circuit and the shore power circuit. And another color for 12 volt!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I cut up extension cords, for the flexible wire.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Romex 12/2 with ground in flex tubing