cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1" edge on floor of Kitchen Slide?

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
So we are starting to look for a new 5th wheel. Our current coach (Cedar Creek Silverback) does NOT have a 1 inch edge on the floor of the kitchen slide. I noticed the newer Open Ranges also do not. All others I have seen, do have the edge. Are there any other coaches that do not have this edge?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have both flush slides and non flush slides. My kitchen slide is not flush.
I have not had any toe stubbing yet.
I prefer the flush slide in the kitchen as the slide operate more efficiently since it does not have to raise and lower but just travel in and out. This slide already has the complexity of the gas line and electric. I'm sure it could be made flush and maybe the newer models are flush,however I have no complaints with the non flush slides I have. Non flush is OK when done correctly.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, my previous post was on my phone and those little keys are hard to type.
You have two types of slides minus the operational system that extends or retracts.
Number one is the original slide out that had a step up, the second is the flush slide that is level across the floor. Guess which is used where people are likely to trip and which folks are likely to stub their toe.
Both our previous 5er and our present had both flush and non flush. The non flush slides as there are more of these. Usally kitchen/entertainment slides and bed slides. There movement is in and out because no need to be flush as the dinette, living room slide which actually slide down to give you a flush floor.
Just think about it all that weight on the kitchen slide. Fridge, stove, entertainment center, cabinets full of pots and pans, dishware, ect.
If you have a toe stubber it is because of poor design. A proper design would have brought the cabinet face flush with the slide floor. Your manufacture saved a few bucks by not extending the depth of the counter tops aand bringing the cabinet faces out to the slide front.
It's these little things that seperate RV manufactures. Other than stubbed toes if your happy with your rig, enjoy.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
All of our slides are flush.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
I guess there are not too many options. My understanding for the edge is the Gas line (but obviously some have worked around that).

Any other examples with no edge would be appreciated.

thanks

Halmfamily wrote:
It's been a turn off for us as well. Someone told us it has to do with the type of slide mechanism that is used. If we stick with another FW it may be inevitable to not have the lip.

Not so sure thats completely the case?? And I say that because, I really don't know enough about them.

Our fifth wheel has 4 slides... 1 in is a schwintec... the other in the bedroom is a cable operated slide..
The 2 downstairs in the living area are BOTH hydraulic and work off the same button...
From under the camper BOTH sides look identical, but 1 is flush, and the street side ( kitchen appliances and entertainment center) has the 1" lip..

It does not bother us that much as we do not have to step up onto it, or stub our toes...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Our KZ does, and DW has already stubbed her toes on it. She likes bare feet or flip flops. NOT a happy camper! Maybe I should put some blaze orange safety tape along it. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a turn off for us as well. Someone told us it has to do with the type of slide mechanism that is used. If we stick with another FW it may be inevitable to not have the lip.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Our DRV Mobile Suites doesn't.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu