cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 Jayco Eagle 345BHS awning mounts

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
As we were at the lake this passed weekend I noticed the lower awning mounts were not tight against the side of the trailer. I decided when I got home to do a little investigating. After I removed the mount it is apparent that the lag bolt holes are larger then the lags and the mounts have been basically hanging for a bit. I have done some reading and would like some clarification. I have read that you can drill out the holes and use bolts that go all the way through. Then use a piece f aluminum strap on the back side.

I have checked out my trailer. If I drill out the mount it will end up behind my stove which seems like a great place for a bolt to come through and put a strap and nut on. So before I take a drill and start punching holes through the side of my camper I just want to make sure I'm reading the information correct.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm kinda new at this 5th wheel repair and don't want to make a big OH NO!!!!
4 REPLIES 4

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mhardin wrote:
I had the same problem on my Jayco travel trailer. I drilled the lag bolt holes to the size of some wooden dowel rod I had and then epoxied the dowel rod into the hole. After the epoxy set up, I drilled the proper size for the lag bolts and reinserted them. Problem solved!

Dowel was probably harder wood than what the factory used, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on my Jayco travel trailer. I drilled the lag bolt holes to the size of some wooden dowel rod I had and then epoxied the dowel rod into the hole. After the epoxy set up, I drilled the proper size for the lag bolts and reinserted them. Problem solved!
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

flifisher
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a reasonably fix. Might want to use a thicker piece of aluminum or a large steel washer or strap. You might try plugging the old hole with a dowel and epoxy and redrilling. Worth a try before you pull your stove.
2018 Ram Laramie Mega Cab Off Road 2500 4X4 6.7 CTD and a Super Gluide hitch
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
My awning came off at the top on one side. Tried rebolting but nothing their . The rv shop said that their are wooden blocks behind the wall for mounting. Stupid why would they not try to mount it to a stud. I have heard of lag bolts right thru to the inside I guess that would work if it was a cupboard or something to hide it.