cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 Amp plug-in Power Meter To Measure Power Consumption ?

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
............Been trying to find a Plug-in Power meter to measure Kw hr consumption for a 50 amp connection ! I found a 30 Amp meter called The "Meter Maid" that connects up in series with a 30 amp RV power cord , but absolutely nothing for 50 amp service !
............ Surely , someone makes this item so RV owners can compare 'their' meter reading with the reading from the RV park they they pay for electricity used .
.............Does anyone hereabouts know where I can find such a device ? , Thanks , JF
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.
7 REPLIES 7

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get a regular utility style submeter for under $50.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~path~product~part~5952665

But honestly I would trust the existing meter and just make a habit of reading it daily. Keep a log and compare to your bill.

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
What are you trying to prevent? It would be beyond the capacity of almost anyone to alter a meter to achieve a consistently higher consumption reading. That would take some extreme technical know how at a minimum. Meters are built to be pretty much tamper proof and the meters used at parks are no exception.
It is possible that park misreads the meter (easy to check, read it yourself) or they may also have additional things running off your meter (even easier to check, unplug your rig and see if the meter continues to run). Now if what you are trying to do is see your usage at any given time, that is a different story.

........Not trying to Prevent anything or look for defective meters ! I would simply like to be able to have a second opinion for the number of kilowatt hours of power consumed for any given period of time when I'm being charged for my electric usage . I see nothing a matter with that . , JF
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
look for an elite watt meter. https://www.amazon.com/Efergy-4-0-Wireless-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B001Q1G4WK/ref=asc_df_B001Q1G4WK/?...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
What are you trying to prevent? It would be beyond the capacity of almost anyone to alter a meter to achieve a consistently higher consumption reading. That would take some extreme technical know how at a minimum. Meters are built to be pretty much tamper proof and the meters used at parks are no exception.
It is possible that park misreads the meter (easy to check, read it yourself) or they may also have additional things running off your meter (even easier to check, unplug your rig and see if the meter continues to run). Now if what you are trying to do is see your usage at any given time, that is a different story.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And when your new meter shows the RV park mischarged you by a dollar do you really believe they will go with your reading? And how many dollars would you need to "save" to pay for the meter?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 30 amp version of this: click here.

With the Blue Tooth technology, the read-outs are shown on my phone. It also sets off a warning when you reach limits. For example, if I reach 30 amps, I get a warning before it trips, or the breaker pops. It's quite interesting to turn on an appliance and watch the usage change.

The 50 amp will show the usage on each leg.

I ended up getting a Progressive portable for 50 amp service, only because I bought the 30 WatchDog 2 weeks before we knew we were going to be getting the new 5er. I decided to keep the 30 amp Watch Dog since I don't have a 50 amp plug at home yet and have to plug into 30 amp anyway. It works pretty nice. When camping with 50 amp service, I'll use the Progressive at the campground. I'm planning on getting a 50 amp plug installed at home, soon.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they make one just for fifth wheels.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman