Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50A questions

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm taking delivery of our new 5th wheel on Saturday, and it will be my first time owning a 50A camper.

I do a lot of tailgating where I'm hooked up to my Honda 2000 generator, and there are many sites we visit that only offer 30A power. Given that, I'll no doubt need to pick up some power adapters. My surge protector is also 30A, but GOOD GRIEF, a new 50A surge protector is $300+. :E

Any thoughts on what I absolutely need vs. what I can do without?

Thanks in advance!!
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
30 REPLIES 30

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Here's the surge protector that I bought. $109 Link
I don't know about out West but in the Northeast, campgrounds are starting to prohibit 50A RV's from staying in 30A sites. Not all but it seems to be the trend. I ran into this problem last summer when I tried to book a site at a KOA near Pittsburgh.
I recommend something with EMS in the model number

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
Me Again wrote:
OK, here is the deal. If you plug your new trailer into a 50A outlet with neutral missing, you burn up most of your AC devices with 240V across them...
Um No it won't. A missing neutral will not cause an otherwise properly wired 120V device to see 240V.

Take 2 circuits on opposite sides, say 2 AC units. They are both tied to the neutral. When both units are on, without the neutral, the AC units will be in series across 240V. Not quite the same as each unit seeing 240V, but not good!

Edit/ I guess I should add that if the 2 devices are not equal then they won't see equal voltages. Say one is a small light and the other an AC. The AC would see most of the voltage.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
I don't know about out West but in the Northeast, campgrounds are starting to prohibit 50A RV's from staying in 30A sites. Not all but it seems to be the trend. I ran into this problem last summer when I tried to book a site at a KOA near Pittsburgh.

Be interesting to see what they'd say if all 50a spots were taken and 30a spots were available. Turn them away and leave an empty spot, or take the money?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:
OK, here is the deal. If you plug your new trailer into a 50A outlet with neutral missing, you burn up most of your AC devices with 240V across them...
Um No it won't. A missing neutral will not cause an otherwise properly wired 120V device to see 240V.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobbyg123 wrote:
I guess what I should have asked is this. Can I simply use a 50A to 30A adapter and plug into my 30A surge protector?
Yes

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's very important to fully understand the differences in the systems. A 50A connection is NOT 20A bigger than a 30A one, it's 100A. Confusing right?

A 30A connection will be OFF if the neutral fails.
A 30A connection is 120V and can not give 240V.

If you need more, just ask...
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:

I do not believe that unit will shutdown on an open neutral if it occurs while in use. It will indicate an open neutral on initial plug in.

The EMS units include this statement:
Accidental 240V Protection.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, here is the deal. If you plug your new trailer into a 50A outlet with neutral missing, you burn up most of your AC devices with 240V across them.

I have two trailers with 50amp service and both have hardwired Progressive Industries EMS units with remote panels that I installed myself.

I highly recommend this device.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-Hardwired-Electrical-Protection/dp/B003AN1UA8/ref=asc_...

Regarding the generator. PI EMS require a bonded neutral and ground, Honda eu generators do not have that. You take a male cord cap and put a jumper between Neutral(silver) and Ground(green), plug that into one side of the duplex outlet and the trailer into the other. The EMS will be happy and turn on the power.

Did I say that a lost neutral will burn up most or all your AC devices! Yep, but I will say it a second time!!!! A friend had this happen to his America Eagle MH and the repair was 12K+! TV's frig, MW, converter, inverter on and on.

BTW
Using a 50amp to 30amp dog bone does not expose you to the lost neutral issue when you plug into a 30amp circuit on the power pole.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for miss-interpertation. Yes, you can use a 50 amp to a 30 amp adapter and step DOWN to 30 amps:

Here.

Or go the other way from a 30 amp to a 50 amp, but you'll still have only 30 amps. The 30 amp protector will work both ways on shore power:

Here.

There are countless other places you can get these adapters, including Camping World and Wall Mart.

If using a 30 amp service on a 50 amp RV, the secret to success is power management and run as many items as possible on propane or battery.

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
I never use a surge protector on a generator. As someone else mentioned, when I'm connected to generator power, it's only for low draw usage. Furnace, TV, microwave, etc.
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

H__Cramer
Explorer
Explorer
I have read you do not want to use a Surge Protector on a Generator, only on a Land Line.
Out

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, on using the surge protector. Make sure you switch heavy items to propane. Water heater, refer.
Your genset will not be large enough to support AC units.
You will need a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, Thet is a female 50 to a 30 amp male.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you can manage your electricity use to get by on 30 a an adapter will suffice. if you need more, reserve a 50a site. and as stated, a good SP is a wise investment.
bumpy

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
I guess what I should have asked is this. Can I simply use a 50A to 30A adapter and plug into my 30A surge protector? Out here in the Pacific NW, we rarely need 50A power, as we don't often use the AC when camping.
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L