cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone advise what hitch options would work well with the following setup?

Truck is a 2019 MegaCab Dually with 6'4" bed, and factory prep for 5th wheel/Gooseneck.

5th wheel being considered is a GD Solitude 310GK.

My knowledge in this area is very minimal! I only know that some hitches can work with my truck 5th wheel prep and some can't. I also know that the king pin/box on the 5th wheel may be changed to aid turning with the short box of the truck. Lastly, I understand that some setups don't have the ability to deal very well with lateral movement between truck and 5th wheel - creating a lot of stress on the hitch interface?

Whatever knowledge and recommendation you can offer would be much appreciated.
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
99 REPLIES 99

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DesertDog you have a great truck why do you want a complicated setup?

The ANDERSEN/adapter setup does NOT allow you to move the hitch back. I would NEVER mount the hitch so the pin is behind the center of the rear axle.

Get the puck mount B&W Slider and never have an issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DesertDogs wrote:
So, the steel Andersen is a top choice with the RAM 3500 short bed? And, that's attached with rails to the factory pucks? No worries about clearance in very tight turns?

Just ask the proponents of this combo to sign a contract that they will pay for the possible rear cab damage if they are so sure the combo is so great!

There is NOT a single short bed hitch that does NOT have its negatives.

SB Truck = COMPROMISE!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Of the two offered if I had to choose I would use the ANDERSEN steel version. Still "IF" I had a SB Truck I would want a slider for that 1 in 100 chance of needing it.

You don't know what you are missing short bed Ram 3500 and the steel Andersen :B

Or a short bed Ford with a Pullrite Superglide ! :B

That would be a great second choice :B

The only choice is a TrailerSaver :B
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DesertDogs wrote:

OK.. thanks for that clarification. Sounds like I should just make sure I get a MorRyde pin box.

Personally the only pin box I would have

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all... very much appreciate all the help you've given me. Hitch choices for 5th wheels and short beds can be a bit complicated to one who is unfamiliar with all the possible options.

To summarize what I think I have gathered, from all of your help here, for use with my Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dually Shortbed:

-Picture frame to fit Ram pucks
-Anderson Steel hitch
-Reversible adaptor to the pin box
-MorRyde pin box

And with this set-up, I can achieve:
- one-man install and removal,
- likely no problems with hitting the cab/rear window, the truck bed sides, or the tailgate,
- greater ability to hitch and unhitch with truck and camper at varying angles to each other

Does that sound about right?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

I have the MorRyde pin box. Yes I have the reversible pin box adaptor. I have it in the rearward position, more clearance with the cab. No clearance issues with the bed . If you got a pin box that’s not going to clear the sides of the bed , then it’s not going to make any difference what hitch , it’s going to hit. Now the tailgate is another story , the further back you go there is a chance hitting the tailgate, it all depends on the style of pin box. MorRyde is not an issue. As said before some pin boxes have had to have the back corners cut off at an angle to clear.

OK.. thanks for that clarification. Sounds like I should just make sure I get a MorRyde pin box.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
"As said before some pin boxes have had to have the back corners cut off at an angle to clear." It is not the pin box, it is the mounting flanges on the trailer that hang down and can contact the tailgate or bed side rails. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DesertDogs wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
DesertDogs wrote:
So, the steel Andersen is a top choice with the RAM 3500 short bed? And, that's attached with rails to the factory pucks? No worries about clearance in very tight turns?

I’m pretty sure I went over this with you . I don’t know if it’s the top choice , it’s a good choice . Yes picture frame adapter attached to the pucks with the steel Andersen mounted to that. It’s the setup that I have , and I have no clearance issues in a tight turn . With that being said, there is a limit to how tight you can go , as with many setups.

c2014... what pinbox on your 5th wheel? And do you have the pin adaptor which is reversible to give more or less rear-ward placement on the hitch? Lastly, any clearance issues between the pinbox with the sides of the bed?

I have the MorRyde pin box. Yes I have the reversible pin box adaptor. I have it in the rearward position, more clearance with the cab. No clearance issues with the bed . If you got a pin box that’s not going to clear the sides of the bed , then it’s not going to make any difference what hitch , it’s going to hit. Now the tailgate is another story , the further back you go there is a chance hitting the tailgate, it all depends on the style of pin box. MorRyde is not an issue. As said before some pin boxes have had to have the back corners cut off at an angle to clear.

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
DesertDogs wrote:

I’m pretty sure I went over this with you . I don’t know if it’s the top choice , it’s a good choice . Yes picture frame adapter attached to the pucks with the steel Andersen mounted to that. It’s the setup that I have , and I have no clearance issues in a tight turn . With that being said, there is a limit to how tight you can go , as with many setups.

c2014... what pinbox on your 5th wheel? And do you have the pin adaptor which is reversible to give more or less rear-ward placement on the hitch? Lastly, any clearance issues between the pinbox with the sides of the bed?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DesertDogs wrote:

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Of the two offered if I had to choose I would use the ANDERSEN steel version. Still "IF" I had a SB Truck I would want a slider for that 1 in 100 chance of needing it.

You don't know what you are missing short bed Ram 3500 and the steel Andersen :B

That would be a great second choice :B

cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III