Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Weel vs. TT - Length Off Tow Rig

SirKeats
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!

We currently have a 29ft TT (tongue to tail). We're looling into trading up for a 5th wheel. Based on what we're looking for, it looks like 36-37ft is going to be our shortest possible length.

I'm wondering what the length off the back of the rig is going to be with this size 5th wheel?

At 29ft on the TT we're about maxed out for many of the locations we like to go camp so we need to make sure not to go any longer than what we currently have.

Thanks for the info!!
6 REPLIES 6

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
By maxed out are you talking about site length or maneuvering into the site? If it's site length, and you disconnect the truck, the trailer length is the trailer length. In some cases where the front of the trailer needs to be raised to be level when parked, you can get the truck bed under the front over hang. That doesn't happen often for me.

Dang ! 2 for 2!!! I Agree as well!!! Our coach is 41' alone. Ironically, our "shorter" 4 place V-nose snowmobile trailer is the same overall length as the 5erm is hooked up to truck. There was 1x I had an issue backing into a site with our previous 5er which was 35' and shorter truck only because the camper opposite us didn't move his truck and instead simply folded his arms and-laced them on his hood and watched me. No problem w/ OAL of things tho.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
By maxed out are you talking about site length or maneuvering into the site? If it's site length, and you disconnect the truck, the trailer length is the trailer length. In some cases where the front of the trailer needs to be raised to be level when parked, you can get the truck bed under the front over hang. That doesn't happen often for me.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
My last travel trailer was 31 feet tongue to bumper, and my current 5th wheel is 35 feet overall. The effective length for both on my truck is almost exactly the same at just under 52 feet. The distance from the bumper to the centre of the trailer axles is also close-within a foot if I remember right.

About right for us too. We had a 31' Komfort TT and traded in for our current 35'5" FW. We're about 53' and still get into the same places we did before.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
My last travel trailer was 31 feet tongue to bumper, and my current 5th wheel is 35 feet overall. The effective length for both on my truck is almost exactly the same at just under 52 feet. The distance from the bumper to the centre of the trailer axles is also close-within a foot if I remember right.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some variables involved but you will be at least a couple feet or so longer over all, from your previous OP are you planning to upgrade your megacab to handle the heayy pin weight as you stated payload was very limited?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While all FW overhangs differ a bit, as do the pin boxes, you can figure about five feet over the top of your truck. So a 36' OAL FW will be about 31' behind bumper of truck.

Keep in mind, the height of a FW, may be several feet higher than your TT.

Jerry