cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Hitches 101

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, it's been a LONG time since I've been here. My family and I have camped in a travel trailer for basically the last 18 years. Well, we sold "Mama Eagle" (last July) and decided to move to a 5th Wheel.

So, I'm going from "Seasoned Expert" on towing to a "Newbie".

So, how about some 5th Wheel Towing 101 for someone in my situation.

I *MAY* have already found the 5th wheel we want, but even if we haven't, the first thing I need to do is understand what I'm looking for in a 5th wheel hitch.

We'll be towing with our 2000 Ford F350 4x4 7.3L PSD. It is a crewcab with a long bed (8.5 ft IIRC).

What I'm looking at right now should be very doable for our 1-ton, even if it's almost 20 years old. The truck is in great shape and has always been well maintained.

The 5er we're looking at is 34 ft. long, with a dry weight of 10,000 lbs. and a GVWR of 13,615 lbs. It lists a "hitch weight" (which I'm guessing is the pin weight?) of 1615 lbs, which I'm guessing will be more than that if this works like it does in the TT world, adding options, cargo, etc.

In any event, the GVWR of our F350 is 10,000 lbs. and with the heavy fiberglass cap needing to be off now to tow, I'm thinking I have about 2500-3000 lbs. of carrying capacity for the pin weight, since the truck weighs in at around 7500 without the cap. is that correct?

I'd appreciate any advice on the hitch, and just advice in general as somebody who is switching from TT to 5ers.

If nothing else, what are some good hitch brands, etc.?

Thanks!!
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:

and just LOOK at ALL THE LOCKS you can put on it!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜„
Yeah, but if it's non-desirable, you don't need any locks. ๐Ÿ™‚ When you got the best, you want to keep it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
JIMMY034 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Whether the B&W is best or not I dont know but I would say most B&W owners would have a hard time trading their hitch for anything else. I'm another B&W fan boy. I think your 7.3 diesel is going to have its work cut out for it.

As your self appointed President of the B&W HeavyWeight Fanboy Club I can assure you B&W makes the very best non air ride hitches on the 3rd Rock From The Sun.

Certainly one of the heaviest.

and just LOOK at ALL THE LOCKS you can put on it!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜„
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL I agree with you. I don't understand buying the biggest heaviest unit, than look for the lightest hitch to use. My Comfort Ride hitch is heavy and very solidly built, but never comes out of the TV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:

I had a similar sized 5th with my 99 F250, I had the 7.3 done up and it towed it like a dream but with the f250 I was 300lbs over my rear axel weight with out the wife and kids so I ended up buying a new truck. with a 1 ton you should be good, but you will be close to maxed out on your rear axel. the 7.3 will handle it good, but in stock configuration you are not going to win any races, I had mine done up to 925 ftlb of torque and a little over 400 hp.

in my case I ended up buying a 2014 f350 so I would be legal, if you are thinking of this but are not sure of the new diesels, don't worry this new 6.7 has less power than my 7.3 b but tows the trailer way better, but your 7.3 should be just fine.

Steve

OP's truck may have the same 6K? RGAWR, and that will be the issue he is most likely run up against.

To OP, what size tires does the truck have? LT265/75R16E with 3415 rating are better than the lower rated 17" that became popular as 16" where being phased out.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
JIMMY034 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Whether the B&W is best or not I dont know but I would say most B&W owners would have a hard time trading their hitch for anything else. I'm another B&W fan boy. I think your 7.3 diesel is going to have its work cut out for it.

As your self appointed President of the B&W HeavyWeight Fanboy Club I can assure you B&W makes the very best non air ride hitches on the 3rd Rock From The Sun.

Sometimes going lighter isn't always the best way to go either. In fact, most new 5ers are getting heavier. Shoot, even my semi (day cab Freightliner Cascadia) weighs close to 16,000 lbs. Several years back, a day cab was lighter and a sleeper weighed 16k.

I would be curious if there was a test to compare the 5th wheel hitches head to head to see which one hold up the best before breaking. Many folks swear by Anderson or Demco cuz they are light and do the job, but I have this stigma that says otherwise where I want some beef under the 5er holding it to the truck. That beef come in the form of B&W.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
MackinawMan wrote:

We'll be towing with our 2000 Ford F350 4x4 7.3L PSD. It is a crewcab with a long bed (8.5 ft IIRC).

The 5er we're looking at is 34 ft. long, with a dry weight of 10,000 lbs. and a GVWR of 13,615 lbs. It lists a "hitch weight" (which I'm guessing is the pin weight?) of 1615 lbs, which I'm guessing will be more than that if this works like it does in the TT world, adding options, cargo, etc.

Thanks!!

I had a similar sized 5th with my 99 F250, I had the 7.3 done up and it towed it like a dream but with the f250 I was 300lbs over my rear axel weight with out the wife and kids so I ended up buying a new truck. with a 1 ton you should be good, but you will be close to maxed out on your rear axel. the 7.3 will handle it good, but in stock configuration you are not going to win any races, I had mine done up to 925 ftlb of torque and a little over 400 hp.

in my case I ended up buying a 2014 f350 so I would be legal, if you are thinking of this but are not sure of the new diesels, don't worry this new 6.7 has less power than my 7.3 b but tows the trailer way better, but your 7.3 should be just fine.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMMY034 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The DEMCO looks like a quality US Made hitch.

Big issue is the heads pivot point is several inches below the kingpin connection and this is known to cause CHUCKING by several reports from CURT owners.

I can honestly say there's absolutely no chucking, that's one of the advantages of having both the wrap-jaw and lockbar. I'm totally 100% satisfied with this hitch.

Glad you are happy. The pivot point is the issue not the jaws. Many have no issue with the Curt but many do.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Big issue is the heads pivot point is several inches below the kingpin connection and this is known to cause CHUCKING by several reports from CURT owners.

I can honestly say there's absolutely no chucking, that's one of the advantages of having both the wrap-jaw and lockbar. I'm totally 100% satisfied with this hitch.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
MackinawMan wrote:
Hello all, it's been a LONG time since I've been here...

If nothing else, what are some good hitch brands, etc.?

Thanks!!

You'll get many different answers. First, avoid any split-jaw hitch. They're simply dangerous. Get a wrap-around jaw, sliding lockbar, or one with both, like my hitch, the Demco Recon. I highly recommend this hitch, it has a wrap-around jaw AND a lockbar that slides into position behind the jaw. Safest hitch you can get. It's also a 21K, pin weight max of 5,100 lbs, is dual pivot, adjustable height, and weighs only 75 lbs! By comparison the B&W Companion weighs about 250 lbs. See it HERE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"If OP weighs his truck on a CAT scale, he would get his rear axle weight along w/ front."

^^^^true that, but lots of scales other than CAT