cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Insurance question

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
Can a 5th wheel that will be put on a seasonal site and not moved be insured under a homeowner policy or does it have to be an RV policy? And which one is the better?
My wife and I are thinking of trading in our class A and just go seasonal for the foreseeable future. We do not have a tow vehicle so it won't ever be moved endless it needed major work that a mobile mechanic couldn't do.

Thanks
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

โ€œLife is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!โ€
5 REPLIES 5

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon, if the 5er is set up stationary, will not be moved, Foremost will insure them as a manufactured Home and not an RV. Other States may vary. Call your agent or company and check with others. Which one is better, well, if it's seasonal and not moved, you should have liability as well as the 5er insured so the homeowners is the best.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

mda
Explorer
Explorer
I have a seasonal 5 th wheel in Florida. It stays on site during the winter and in storage during the summer. To insure it against physical damage, I had to register it and get a RV policy. Since I have all my insurance with State Farm, they simply added an RV policy to my account covering the unit.
Your agent is your best bet.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Call your agent!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
It's a vehicle per most DMV so I would say it would have to fall under vehicle insurance. But the right answer would only come from your insurance company instead of an RV forum; even though we are all experts in everything we say...(ok, you can laugh out loud now!)

Nice answer!! LOL I did!! You all know it all!! ??
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

โ€œLife is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!โ€

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
It's a vehicle per most DMV so I would say it would have to fall under vehicle insurance. But the right answer would only come from your insurance company instead of an RV forum; even though we are all experts in everything we say...(ok, you can laugh out loud now!)