cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel lifting bracket

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Demco makes a 5th wheel lifting bracket that looks really nice. Only problem is it's $50. I have a winch in the ceiling of my basement, that for years I've used a strap to pull my hitch out. With my new b&w hitch it would be pretty difficult to use a strap. A friend and I made a few of these lifting bracket for ourselves. Only have a couple dollars in them, and they seem to work really well. They're modeled after the ones from demco, with a few changes.

35 REPLIES 35

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
if you know a welder they could make that for way less than $50 i bet there is not much more than 15 dollars worth of metal

Or just buy one for ~$50

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Demco/DM6100.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA...
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
if you know a welder they could make that for way less than $50 i bet there is not much more than 15 dollars worth of metal
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
I made this one about 15 years ago. 1 1/2"pipe works great.

Nice!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I made this one about 15 years ago. 1 1/2"pipe works great.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
i have my 6 year old granddaughter lift mine off. 😄 (Andersen Ultimate)

I, too, have a 6 year old granddaughter.
Never thought of that option.
I love these message boards for great problem solving ideas.:D

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I mounted a hook to the garage joist and attached an electric winch. Used a tow strap to lift it out. I'll likely just leave it in from now on unless I really have to remove it because the tabs that fit down into the rails for the pins to go through are a pain in the neck to get lined up so all 4 drop in place. My set up is so tight and precise that it took me forever to get it to drop in.

I have the same issue. I just thought the knuckleheads that installed it didn't get the rails aligned just right. I take the top off when I am not using the hitch, but leave the base in for this reason.
It would sure be nice to use my $50,000 truck bed to haul a piece of plywood again. LOL
I've got to figure out a way to get my base off (and back in) without lifting it by hand (I'm old and fat). Thought about something like an engine lift. My shop door is 10' and I can't back in far enough to use the ceiling trusses of the shop.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:

40 lbs to a 6 year old is like 150 lbs to her grandfather. :R :R :R
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I just use the 5th wheel.......with 5vr hitched I pull the hitch pins and raise it using landing gear legs.
Leave it hanging from king pin.

Ditto. I just use the camper to pull it off.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I have something almost identical to that. My dad made it for me years ago.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Dan_Henry
Explorer
Explorer
I made bracket to remove my BW. Took a piece of steel about 2 X 5 X 1/2. Drilled a 1/2 hole in the middle installers 1/2 eye bolt to put the hook of my chain hoist in. Put the bracket in the king pin hole close the latch then lift the hitch, I am on The road and the bracket is at home or I would post a picture.
Dan

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Here is the answer from B&W:

Chris,

Thank you for your inquiry. The head latches are strong enough to hold all the weight of the Patriot. You can lift it out of the truck with the king pin of your trailer. If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Thank You,

Casey

Once again the B&W "HeavyWeights" come thru!

But this certainly does NOT suggest other hitches will tolerate such downward forces. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the answer from B&W:

Chris,

Thank you for your inquiry. The head latches are strong enough to hold all the weight of the Patriot. You can lift it out of the truck with the king pin of your trailer. If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Thank You,

Casey
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021