cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Slide Problem?

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 33 foot long, 2008 Challenger 5th wheel trailer, with 3 slides which are moved by a Lippert hydraulic system. The slides are not controlled individually but all on the same line. They move out in sequence, 1 (bedroom), 2 (opposing living room), 3 (large living room slide), and retract in the same sequence, 1, 2, 3. After sitting in storage for a few months, and getting ready for a weekend trip, I attempted to open the slides which worked in sequence until #3. It only moved about a foot of its 3 foot travel when it stopped. I retracted all of them and let sit for a couple of minutes and then opened them again. They all extended as they should.
The next day we arrived at our weekend destination and attempted to open the slides. Slides 1 and 2 deployed except slowly and #3 started out, slowly, but stopped about 8 inches from full out. We retracted them and tried again. Same result. We retracted them for another try. Again it stopped about 8โ€ from full out. I then manually pushed it out to full extension while my wife pressed the โ€œslide outโ€ button.
The day of departure they retracted normally. We returned home and opened the slides to clean the unit. All of them worked normally without the slow or sluggish movement as a few days before and fully extended as they should. Iโ€™m scratching my head as to what may be the problem if there is one.
The fluid reservoir is full and I havenโ€™t noticed any fluid leak. We live in Tucson, AZ and traveled to Flagstaff, AZ where the air temperature was about 30 degrees cooler than Tucson that day. I canโ€™t imagine the temperature would affect the operation unless it was below freezing which it wasnโ€™t. The only thing I can zero in on is the pump.
We are planning a summer trip in 4 weeks and I would like to resolve this issue before that. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I'll check out all your sugesstions. Thanks again.

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
These great(NOT) generic RV manuals listing the wrong fluid is consistent with the rest of the manual.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
greatwhitenorth69 wrote:
motorcycle jack wrote:
Troubleshooting your hydraulic problem with out testing some functionality of components is next to impossible but I will give you some ideas to check. First, since your unit is a 2008, if you haven't changed the fluid do it. The fluid is a DOT III ATF fluid at any auto store. As the fluid is open to the atmosphere via the chambers fill port it is hydrostatic (absorbs water) which can cause compression in the fluid and pump low pressure. Second there is probably debris in the fluid which can keep valves open allowing leak back. So when it is drained out take a flashlight and look for debris in the bottom. When you've finished refilling and cleaning the debris out, cycle the slides three or four times to remove any air that may be in the system.

DOT 3 is brake fluid not ATF. OP do not fill your system with brake fluid, check with manufacturer on what to use.

Correct some use hydraulic fluid ,some use ATF. My manual said ATF, but it came from the factory with hydraulic fluid, was pretty obvious it was not ATF .

greatwhitenort1
Explorer
Explorer
motorcycle jack wrote:
Troubleshooting your hydraulic problem with out testing some functionality of components is next to impossible but I will give you some ideas to check. First, since your unit is a 2008, if you haven't changed the fluid do it. The fluid is a DOT III ATF fluid at any auto store. As the fluid is open to the atmosphere via the chambers fill port it is hydrostatic (absorbs water) which can cause compression in the fluid and pump low pressure. Second there is probably debris in the fluid which can keep valves open allowing leak back. So when it is drained out take a flashlight and look for debris in the bottom. When you've finished refilling and cleaning the debris out, cycle the slides three or four times to remove any air that may be in the system.

DOT 3 is brake fluid not ATF. OP do not fill your system with brake fluid, check with manufacturer on what to use.

motorcycle_jack
Explorer
Explorer
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Lube the slide rams with silicone spray and fully charge your battery. then see if it repeats.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you are connected to shore power, I believe the slide system still gets it power from the batteries. So I think Old-Biscut is correct with the low battery theory.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I would start by lubricating slide #3 . Then I would check with the factory for proper pump pressure and test the pressure. It may be a little low.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, Old-Biscuit. However, I recall I was plugged in to AC power at the time. But you never know. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Low battery voltage........and poor ground
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31