cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel upper Shock Mount

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have an upper (attached to frame) shock mount on a Lippert frame fail? Brought the rig home from storage yesterday. Turned onto my street and drove over the bombed out crater surface and felt something funny at one point only to get to my house and find out I had a flat. Got the rig in the drive and after removing the tire, discovered that the upper mount had come off and cut into the side wall of the tire until it went flat. On inspection, I can't see any evidence of the mount ever having been welded to the frame. In addition, both surfaces (the bottom of the frame and the top of the mount) were rusty. Now I worried about the remaining shock mounts. If anyone had this experience, I would appreciate any shared experience and what you did about it.

I've seen some ads for the new equalizers and on the videos they show the frame/axles don't have any shocks. Could this be used to replace the shocks?

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
·2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]
5 REPLIES 5

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just take them all off. I bet you won't notice any difference.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rsgs wrote:
Anyone have an upper (attached to frame) shock mount on a Lippert frame fail? Brought the rig home from storage yesterday. Turned onto my street and drove over the bombed out crater surface and felt something funny at one point only to get to my house and find out I had a flat. Got the rig in the drive and after removing the tire, discovered that the upper mount had come off and cut into the side wall of the tire until it went flat. On inspection, I can't see any evidence of the mount ever having been welded to the frame. In addition, both surfaces (the bottom of the frame and the top of the mount) were rusty. Now I worried about the remaining shock mounts. If anyone had this experience, I would appreciate any shared experience and what you did about it.

I've seen some ads for the new equalizers and on the videos they show the frame/axles don't have any shocks. Could this be used to replace the shocks?

Welds fail on an LCI frame?! Shocker.......NOT! First I've heard of that particular failure in the nearly 15 years of reading here, and elsewhere, though. FWIW, weld it up and check all the other shock mount welds.

Adding a shock-dampening equalizer doesn't, IMO, alleviate the use of shocks. Just depends of if the mfr wants to spend the extra $100 to actually mount a set. My KZ has a MorRyde equalizer, but didn't come with shocks and there've been times that I wish it =did= have them. My old Komfort had a standard equalizer, and had shocks, though they weren't all that effective due to their lousy geometry.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it and being you have a welder just weld it up. As long as you're doing the one check the others out and reweld them if you think it's necessary

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your response. I have all the metal tools I need to do the repair (welder, torch, steel chop saw, etc.). I was curious how others handled the same situation.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
·2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
I would have a welder come to your house a reweld the upper shock mounts and see if he could even and a tab to give it a little extra strength, just look in your phone book or google it looking for a local welder....enjoy your summer...and yes it happened to my Cedar Creek many years ago, but I welded it myself.. also for got I would replace that shock in case the shock is damaged,
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..