cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of questions about 5th wheel roofs and sealants.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was on my toyhauler cleaning the roof and noticed a couple of small cracks in the sealant around one of my crank-up vent fans. Needless to say I want to put something to close up those small, and they are only about a half inch long, cracks. What do I use? Would Dicor lap sealant be appropriate for this? Should I prep the surface with something like alcohol? Or just make sure it is clean? Should I remove all the old and start fresh? Please don't pick that one. 🙂

Also I was noticing there is no cushioning of any kind between my antenna, and the roof when it is cranked down. I can see that it has been rubbing but has caused no damage...yet. Has anyone ever put something between their antenna and the roof surface to prevent damage.

Thanks for any information, and/or opinions. Much appreciated.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"
14 REPLIES 14

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, that sounds super John. I'll hit you with a PM.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder, if you decide to go the Eternabond route PM me and I can give you some Eternabond to place under the antenna. Bought a big roll last spring and have quite a bit left. I am only about 10 miles from Platte City via I-29 and I-435. As far as your sealant around the vent, I just make sure the old is clean and put new Dicor on top of the old. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow!! Many thanks for the excellent and varied responses. I've never seen the tape before and I may give that the once-over. I guess you don't have to worry about it drying out like the tube Dicor?

I also googled Eternabond, which I've seen mentioned on here before. That stuff looks good too. I guess I shall hie myself off to the RV store and take a look at them both. If they have them that is.

I wonder if a couple of layers of Eternabond would work to protect my roof from the antenna resting on it. I may have to think about that one.

You guys are da bomb fur shure.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
I've always used Dicor self leveling caulk on edpm roofs.

X2 And if it is just shrinkage cracking I just fill in the crack and smooth it over. Too much work to scrap off all the old caulking and could do more damage. Our trailer is 10 years old and no leaks with that practice.

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my fiver I bought 100 dollars worth of dicor tape and covered every bit of caulk on my 40 foot roof with it.I never have to deal with it again.Nearly impossible to tell a little bit of dirty caulk from a crack in the caulk.Just my opinion.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
MWJones wrote:
If it will make you sleep better - after cleaning with soap and water
with a brush and rinse and dry and clean with alcohol and dry - apply 2x2 inch pieces of eternalbond tape at each spot where rubber pads meet the roof. No more worries!!!:)

I like this idea.. :B
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Explorer
Explorer
Vannnce wrote:
I recently re sealed my roof. I used a product called proflex rv. Comes in a tube for a caulk gun. For the best results IMO youre going to want to remove as much of the old stuff as possible, and clean the surface with mineral spirits. Thats what i did anyway.

Do not ever clean with mineral spirits. It will leave an oil residue and the new material will not adhere. Denatured alcohol or acetone would be the best bet.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
If it will make you sleep better - after cleaning with soap and water
with a brush and rinse and dry and clean with alcohol and dry - apply 2x2 inch pieces of eternalbond tape at each spot where rubber pads meet the roof. No more worries!!!:)
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now there's the answer I wanted to see!! LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
When my last 5th wheel was about 9 years old I noticed small cracks in the sealant . I washed around all the vents with a scrub brush, let it completely dry and applied Dicor self leveling caulk over the original caulk. I never had a roof leak in the 12 years we owned the rig.
The antenna questions is a good one, I will be interested to read any responses to that.
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the suggestion.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've always used Dicor self leveling caulk on edpm roofs.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Poop. I was kind of afraid that it would be best to remove the old before putting on new. Thanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
I recently re sealed my roof. I used a product called proflex rv. Comes in a tube for a caulk gun. For the best results IMO youre going to want to remove as much of the old stuff as possible, and clean the surface with mineral spirits. Thats what i did anyway.
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX