cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding on board Generator

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice on type of on board generator to purchase.
Want to run 2 15k ac, 2 tvs and satellite. Also do most generators have fuel tank or just add tank?
I have a Champion 3100 that I have been using but want something bigger and more quiet. Looking for someone who has a onboard generator.
Thank you
Paparoach48
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
20 REPLIES 20

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
If you have a Diesel truck I would get a Diesel generator and mount it in the bed of the truck and not have to mess with propane or gas. It would also do away with the vibration of the trailer when running and cut down on noise.

The main disadvantage of having genset mounted i the truck is the RV itself is not always self contained.
If the truck leaves the electricity leaves.
May not be a big deal all the time. But on occasion it will create an issue.
Want go into town with the truck there goes the electric. If it's hot out there goes the A/C.
I prefer to have the RV independently self contained.
My RV is parked in the back yard, We can just stay in it as long as necessary no truck required.
We have stayed in the on short notice due to power outage, hurricane, storms etc. Its nice to be self contained when you need it
Your correct, I was thinking how I use a generator. My 5er and TT have built in Onan's and fuel tanks. I mainly use them for stops on the way and I'm connected to the truck anyway. Most of my destinations have power. So while a truck bed generator would work for me it might not work for others.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same exercise a few years ago, spent a lot of time working on the various details and came to some conclusions. Propane was not efficient enough, diesel was too heavy, a 5500 Onan plus fuel tank, sheet metal, plumbing and electrical put me at about 6k and a lot of time. So, I ran a cable from the shore power connection to the front and installed another shore power plug next to the front storage door. I built a weather proof enclosure and installed a Honda 6500 with a remote start in the bed of the truck with a 20gal remote tank, a 15' cord makes the connection and can stay connected full time if your lazy (don't know about running it while driving, never tried.) I've got about 800hrs on it and it works flawlessly rain or shine and I have plenty of power to run whatever whenever, no vibration no noise.
The older we get, the faster we go

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
If you have a Diesel truck I would get a Diesel generator and mount it in the bed of the truck and not have to mess with propane or gas. It would also do away with the vibration of the trailer when running and cut down on noise.

The main disadvantage of having genset mounted i the truck is the RV itself is not always self contained.
If the truck leaves the electricity leaves.
May not be a big deal all the time. But on occasion it will create an issue.
Want go into town with the truck there goes the electric. If it's hot out there goes the A/C.
I prefer to have the RV independently self contained.
My RV is parked in the back yard, We can just stay in it as long as necessary no truck required.
We have stayed in the on short notice due to power outage, hurricane, storms etc. Its nice to be self contained when you need it
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I POINTED THE vent exhaust out the the open door .IT runs cool with no issues.There is a vent/exhaust kit online for it.I fill it using a milk jug,but do have a 12 volt pump ,just too lazy to use it.I have 250 watt solar as well ,2 550 rolls batt so just run it 4 hrs a day if dry camping to top up.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
alboy wrote:
We have a 14 LM Savannah with the gen prep ,i installed ahonda 3000 eu in the front bay .It easily runs 1 air cond washer dryer at the same time and is very cheap to run,20 hours on a couple of gallons of gas.Yamaha has a 4500 inverter gen in gas that might fit.

Do you have pictures how you ran the exhaust, out of there, and how you vented it. I was under the impression that those 3000 EU had to be in the open ,not designed to be in a enclosed compartment ??

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 14 LM Savannah with the gen prep ,i installed ahonda 3000 eu in the front bay .It easily runs 1 air cond washer dryer at the same time and is very cheap to run,20 hours on a couple of gallons of gas.Yamaha has a 4500 inverter gen in gas that might fit.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
They are also quite heavy.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
You have to derate the gasoline generator to about 80% capacity when operated on propane. It will burn through a 40# propane bottle in short order, so be prepared to do a lot of propane swaps if you run the generator on a full time basis.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I prefer my 5500 LP propane Onan vs. gas in my 5.er simply because of the carburetor issues with gasoline. LP is clean and doesn't gum up.
For this reason my LP genset has been very reliable.
I am just an occasional user. I overnight, stop for lunch,etc.
If I had plans to run genset regularly for multiple days, I would most likely want something other than propane.
However for the occasional, short term user LP is fine
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Are you asking for the pusher that is in your signature and photo, or a 5er, like the forum you posted?

On my 5er, I have one of the built in Honda's. I'm happy with it, but it does burn a lot of propane. I had it installed way back when we bought the trailer in 2002. Only 200 hours on it. When I bought, there was an option to somehow use an outboard boat motor fuel tank. That would have given me longer range and maybe easier to fill, but then you have to worry about the carbs when the generator isn't used often. I guess propane was the right way to go.......

Propane is definitely the way to go, having had the Onan 5500 LP in my last fifth wheel, ordered with it. Its a nice option for short term power, pretty impratical to run hours on end. When I sold the fifth wheel it was nearly 13 years old with 176 hours on the generator, not much, for having to give 4K something for it at the time.

All I can add is if you want to run them for hours on end you better have a good propane source. If you are too far off the grid be prepared be going after propane quite often .

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
roachcoach wrote:
Sorry about the picture need to change it as I no longer have a motorhome (Totaled out)
Now own 2013 fifth wheel Heartland landmark.

Don't go to a propane generator. You may be visiting the propane supplier every day if you do.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the picture need to change it as I no longer have a motorhome (Totaled out)
Now own 2013 fifth wheel Heartland landmark.
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Part of the noise is you are pushing the 3100 extremely hard. I'm surprized it will run two roof air units at the same time.

Yamaha makes a 4500 watt, and Honda a 6000 watt inverter generator. See if you can go listen to them at a dealership--and plug in your RV as a test.

You may wish to investigate a sound baffle box around any generator.

A totally quiet alternative would be a large solar farm with a BIG battery bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.