cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding windows to fifth wheel - new Denali

iwski
Explorer
Explorer
We recently settled on a 2017 Denali 280LBS bunkhouse and have begun modifications to add the features we would like to have. One of those is a window in the master bedroom to create cross-breeze for dry-camping, as well as a window in the bathroom and bunk room. I was surprised at how few manufacturers include a window in the bedroom with a wardrobe slide, yet with most designs there is space for a window. I'd like to add a window in front of the wardrobe slide, although due to stud locations the window would be very close to the front cap. Am I crazy to try to do this?

As you can see from the photo, I've marked out the approximate rough opening of the window at the inside of the tape (12" x 22"). The window can go no further back due to a stud lined up with the top of the front cap. At the upper right corner of the window there will be just 3 inches from the opening to the front cap trim. I believe the front cap overlaps the sidewall fiberglass, so there should be more than 3 inches of fiberglass intact (I hope). The aluminum frame at the corner of the front cap should be providing the structural rigidity for this area, and there is a stud like I mentioned lined up with the top of the cap (at the raingutter, as well as the edge of the slide.

Any issues with cutting a hole at this location that I may not be thinking about?

2017 Dutchmen Denali 280LBS fifth wheel
2011 Ram 3500 6.7 dually
14 REPLIES 14

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the factory has a window engineered into the design, they install additional structure to the frame work, like cross peices above and below the window, which you are unable to do with out removing the exterior and interior skin/paneling. That area, as said above, is a high stress area and the skins are part of the structual integrity of the coach.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
16" oscillating fan on dresser if possible? Like what others which is almost everyone has said, I wouldn't do it. If the mfr won't give you any info/drawings etc, they may have some "proprietary" design and don't want it out there for other's to see.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I see a window next to the slide. If there is one on the other side of the bedroom there should be plenty of cross breeze.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
How about a fantastic fan pull more air than a window.

BINGO!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad you didn't think of this before you bought.
You could have custom ordered and had them put an extra window in for you.
I was looking at Gulfstream a couple years ago and talked to the factory rep at the Hershey show. He told me they are more than willing to do "custom" mods for special orders as long as they don't cause a structural issue. I would think most would do that.

iwski
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far. I have added a fantastic fan so far and we have not had hot enough weather to give it the real test, but after the lady was frequently too hot in our truck camper with opposing windows and a fantastic fan...I'm fearing the same with this fifth wheel. The structural piece has me concerned like others have mentioned it's in the "gooseneck" portion. I'm an engineer, but not an RV engineer, and I can definitely see a good deal of stress occurring in the side walls at the transition down to the normal frame (above the landing gear), but hard telling about the front of the gooseneck. May have to think on this one for ahwile. And I asked the factory for framing drawings to no avail.
2017 Dutchmen Denali 280LBS fifth wheel
2011 Ram 3500 6.7 dually

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
How about a fantastic fan pull more air than a window.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm no RV engineer, but it's possible that the trailer uses the body as part of the structural design and strengthening. It could be that putting holes in the sides could be detrimental to the structural integrity of the whole thing. Best bet would be to have a long conversation with the builders.

Your point is very valid. Most fivers frames have plenty of flex in the gooseneck portion of the frame and the trailer side walls do help increase rigidity. There are many examples of fiberglass cracks at the bedroom slideout and/or manufacturers using 'H' trim to relieve stress on the skin at the point of failure. The opposite bedroom wall, without a slideout, rarely has an issue. I would find a different solution that does not weaken the sidewall.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Fire19
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact the Factory to see if they could do this modification so you do not lose the warranty. If they are unwilling there might be a reason not to do it.
2000 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
2002 Gulfstream Seahawk 29FKS
1998 GL1500SE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I really don't think it is a good idea. While it maybe doable I would always be concerned about structural integrity. If I truly wanted a window I would have made it a criteria before buying vs. taking the modding approach. You are going to assume lots of liability and potentially void your structural warranty over a window. I would definitely wait until warranty has expired.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't like how close that top right corner will be. Can't say it will fail without looking at the underlying structure but it doesn't look good.

A few alternatives:
- Can you replace the window behind the slide with an opening window?
- Can you put a window in the slide (either on the main face or the side panels)?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Windows create stress points where siding and the integrity of the sidewall may be jeopardized. The stress cracks we have developed on our 22 year old 5th wheel are at the corners of some of the windows as well as the corner of the slideout opening. Your window location is in between two stress creating points the front corner and the slideout.

If you haven't already, I would spend some time in the bedroom area during differing weather conditions to see if there is a need for another window or would portable fan(s) or fantastic vent fans provide the cross ventilation you need.

Our 5th wheel has windows at the head end and foot end of our bedroom so we can get a good cross breeze depending on how the wind hits the 5th wheel. We have a fantastic fan vent and will use a portable fan to provide the circulation we need if we aren't using the air conditioner or the cross breeze isn't sufficient.

I came across a Ryobi fan powered by 18v rechargeable batteries. We use this fan when we are boondocking along with the fantastic vent fans. The Ryobi will last 10 hours per fully charged battery. I carry 3 batteries to use with the fan or other Ryobi tools I carry.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm no RV engineer, but it's possible that the trailer uses the body as part of the structural design and strengthening. It could be that putting holes in the sides could be detrimental to the structural integrity of the whole thing. Best bet would be to have a long conversation with the builders.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I'd talk to the factory, there could be something in that wall only they know about.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.