cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice for Towing 5th Wheel (switching from bumper pull)

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I am making the jump from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel and am looking for any advice or feedback you can give me on towing with a 5th wheel vs. the TT prior to my picking it up. My current trailer is 29 feet and about 7k pounds and I pulled it with a Tundra.

I am getting a 41 foot 5th wheel that weighs about 13k pounds. I will be towing it with a Ram 3500 long bed diesel SRW (with a 4200 pound payload capacity). Any advice on how I should adjust my driving with the bigger trailer in making turns, backing up, etc?

I am a little uneasy about the extra size and length and not sure how backing up will be compared to the bumper pull.

Thanks for your help

Matt
15 REPLIES 15

justme
Explorer
Explorer
There are videos on YouTube posted by some professional driver schools as well as independent folks. I would suggest searching and viewing those video's for backing information of 5th wheel trailers that include commercial 18 wheelers as well as RV's. Some good pointers and tricks of the trade to view. Then go out and practice in a large parking lot to apply what was learned. That is the best way to be proficient at backing a 5th wheel trailer.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Loved my backup camera for highway driving. Makes it much easier to see when its clear to pull back into your lane.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
You will never go back to a Tow trailer again. Backing up is a bit harder for sure, other than that no big deal.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I was doing the same upgrade as you except not as long. I read some good advice on this forum regarding backing the 5er. If you're backing line is wrong pull forward and correct to a better line. The fifth wheel reacts slower than a bumper pull and you won't be able to make corrections. Pull throughs are nice but you will have to back it sooner or later.

I was intimidated with the 5er at first and I jumped a couple of curbs but you get used to it pretty quick. I have to back mine into my driveway which is 90 degrees. Sometimes I do it right and most of the times I fail on my first or even second try. There are some good youtube videos regarding backing strategies.

Congratulations on your future gear.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
bowler1 wrote:
Hi,
I am making the jump from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel and am looking for any advice or feedback you can give me on towing with a 5th wheel vs. the TT prior to my picking it up. My current trailer is 29 feet and about 7k pounds and I pulled it with a Tundra.

I am getting a 41 foot 5th wheel that weighs about 13k pounds. I will be towing it with a Ram 3500 long bed diesel SRW (with a 4200 pound payload capacity). Any advice on how I should adjust my driving with the bigger trailer in making turns, backing up, etc?

I am a little uneasy about the extra size and length and not sure how backing up will be compared to the bumper pull.

Thanks for your help

Matt

Find a large parking lot, get some cones and friends, and PRACTICE! You'll want to use your mirrors a lot more, too.

Lyle

This is what I would recommend.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ok

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
If you hav'nt yet got the truck please do yourself a big favor. Get a dually!
Thats a lot of trailer. Heck, my 36 footer I pull with a dually, and it only weighs 13,5 loaded ready to travel. I`ll bet that 13K number you cited is the mystical "dry" weight, which once you have it loaded with stuff you could easily top 15K pounds.

+1
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a cheap set of walkie talkies, wife can guide my backing up without having to shout at each other. Also have used Bluetooth in truck and hooked up with her cell phone. Make sure you have enough room for slide outs.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget to put the tailgate down before hitching or unhitching.

Know your height when hitched to your truck. You'll be tall enough that those signs mean something now.

Keep an eye on cab clearance when turning and bed rail and tailgate clearance when you get the truck or trailer off level.

Practice backing. You can't make the quick adjustments you can with a bumper hitch trailer. I like to think of it as "get it pointed where you want it and then follow it in." It takes longer to come out of a turn or get into it.

Watch that curb when turning. Your 5er will cut the turn short, but you can make up for it by turning later since you can turn much sharper if needed.

Enjoy the steadier ride on the road.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Don't back up, get pull-through spots instead. I've watched guys backing into spaces that had no clue what they were doing. When I got my first 5th wheel I would get out of the truck and scan the area I was backing into. I would then visualize the track I wanted my trailer tires to follow. I might put a rock next to the track. After gaining some experience it becomes a non issue.

Look up when you're driving. Tree branches will be your worst enemy.

x2. I still do that sometimes after 5+ years with my 5th wheel. If there's gravel or dirt I'll drag my foot where I want the tires to go so the wife can guide me in easier.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't back up, get pull-through spots instead. I've watched guys backing into spaces that had no clue what they were doing. When I got my first 5th wheel I would get out of the truck and scan the area I was backing into. I would then visualize the track I wanted my trailer tires to follow. I might put a rock next to the track. After gaining some experience it becomes a non issue.

Look up when you're driving. Tree branches will be your worst enemy.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bowler1 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help

Matt

Find a large parking lot, get some cones and friends, and PRACTICE! You'll want to use your mirrors a lot more, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I had only towed a pop-up camper before my 42' fifth wheel. The only good thing the dealership did was sent me for a test drive with one of their techs driving shot gun. It helped calm my nerves a lot and I was able to ask a few questions.

As for turns- he said that until you get used to how it tracks, make sure you don't start your turn until your trailer's wheels clear whatever obstacle is in the way. You can then turn as sharply as you need. It really helped me get a feel for it without risking hitting stuff.

As for backing, like Jerry said - pull a little further past than you think you need before you start backing in. My very first campground after buying the camper, I was struggling getting into a site. This older fellow was walking past and as he passed my window, he simply said, "if it were me, I'd pull forward a little more." Given that I'd tried and failed 5 or 6 times by that point, I did it worked. Now I always pull further forward than I need.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
If you hav'nt yet got the truck please do yourself a big favor. Get a dually!
Thats a lot of trailer. Heck, my 36 footer I pull with a dually, and it only weighs 13,5 loaded ready to travel. I`ll bet that 13K number you cited is the mystical "dry" weight, which once you have it loaded with stuff you could easily top 15K pounds.