cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bubble under front of rubber roof

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I had one of these under the front of a fiver I owned. The roof had cone unglued for about 6', that I could tell. Never knew until I happened to walk up top to lub my tv antenna.

Looking for a repair I blocked it up for several days during dry, hot weather. I used an abundant amount of spray glue and covered the underside of the skin as best I could and used a heavy blanket and weights to hold it down for a day. There was no way to get the skin back in place under the aluminum strip that was supposed to hold it.

I bought a 1" X 3/8" aluminum bar from Lowes, drilled and countersunk holes about every 8". Cut it to length and installed it about 1/4" behind the original strip and filled the 1/4" gap, screw heads and joints with Dicor sealant.

This worked and stayed in place for the three more years I owned the fiver.

Hope this works for you or someone else that you wee driving down the road with the bubble.
7 REPLIES 7

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I now have a 14 year old diesel pusher and a disturbing fact of life is, plastics break down, glues break down, wiring insulation breaks down, foam rubber will age, especially if heat is involved, rubber tires are unsafe after about 8 years and sun does it's job on rubber roofs and paint. You can buy a slightly used 10 year old rv and be sure that stuff is going to happen.

Super_Dave wrote:
True or false, roof bubbles aren't a big deal?

DEPENDS....

They ( Alpha ) says that there will be "some" small bubbles in hot temperatures... Small, as in quarter sized bubbles...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Eventually if not immediately a very big deal.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
True or false, roof bubbles aren't a big deal?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

I've seen many RV rolling down the road with air bubbles....

When I buy a new trailer, the first thong I do is run a piece of 6" Eternabond across the seam. This prevents ( I believe ) the air from having any type pf chance of getting under the front seam...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“and it's likely they have no idea...” cuzz most RVers don’t do annual roof maintenance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info. I've seen a few RVs on the road with the bubble and it's likely they have no idea.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD