cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All steel 236/85/R16 LRF

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for an all steel construction load range F tire in 235/85R16. Looks like Sailun and Hercules are LR G. My trailer is only 12,000 GVWR.
Brian
70 REPLIES 70

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
I am reading everyone's reply and have read almost every thread I could find on tires and heck...โ€ฆโ€ฆ..I still cant decide what to do. Thanks!!!

Understandable on a rv website. When it comes to tires on a trailer everyone has a opinion.
Some opinions are based on what that owner did on one or two trailers.
Another opinion may be based on no experience but just a opinion based on tire mfg hype.
Others may be full timers with several trailers and many years of using trailers.
Others may have pulled commercially with hundreds of thousands of miles using this type of equipment using dozens of tires.

So yeah its hard for new folks to decide what going to work best for their situation.
AS others have said going from your OEM 225/75-15 to a 235/85-16 will gain around 1.7" in height.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
buck n duck wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
buck n duck wrote:
OP here......Wow.....I should have checked back sooner.

I will add a little bit of information here. Yes my 5'r came with load range "D" tires. Factory rims and tires are 6 lug wheels rated at 80psi and ST225/75R15 tires. My trailer currently rides out of level pretty bad. It is about 6" difference from front to back. I recently had a blowout on my rear tire and had to purchase a tire on the trip. I am going to be upgrading to a 16'' wheel and tire to gain height. If I go with the 235/85R16 I will gain around 1.75' of height. I have found wheels that will fit my trailer and are rated for 110psi. Did the tire blowout from too much weight being on the rear tires? Yes I am quite sure of it. Does a load range "E" tire add up to cover the max weight of my trailer? Yes it does. But why not go higher? I had no intentions of going to a load range "G" tire as some are suggesting, but......I am not against it. I really would like an all steel tire but I have not been able to find one in that size at load range "F". Also in my consideration is price. Why not buy an all steel higher load range tire for the same price as a Goodyear Endurance load range "E" tire. I am not a full timer but a frequent weekend warrior. You guys are way smarter at this than me and most of you have thousands and thousands miles more than me pulling a trailer. That is why I am here asking questions. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about or overthinking it. I am reading everyone's reply and have read almost every thread I could find on tires and heck...โ€ฆโ€ฆ..I still cant decide what to do. Thanks!!!

:S

Why not fix what I see as the root cause get your trailer as close to level as possible. Then worry about tires, I am sure you are putting a lot of extra weight on that rear axle. The equalizer can only compensate for so much out of level.

Did you read my post before you commented????? I AM fixing part of the issue of being out of level by adding 16โ€ rims and taller tires. After mounting the tires I will re-evaluate and see if a subframe is needed.

I saw that tires will only gain you half the difference in diameter of the two tires, I have posted several time a method and math to calculate how much you need
To raise the trailer at the tires, but I am on my. phone and it is time to walk the dog, maybe later when the computer is out.

This is not rocket science here , tires are going to give him just over an inch and a half . Anything else to level will be lowering the truck , adjustment at pin box or hitch . After that a subframe .

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
buck n duck wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
buck n duck wrote:

I will add a little bit of information here. Yes my 5'r came with load range "D" tires. Factory rims and tires are 6 lug wheels rated at 80psi and ST225/75R15 tires. My trailer currently rides out of level pretty bad. It is about 6" difference from front to back. I recently had a blowout on my rear tire and had to purchase a tire on the trip. I am going to be upgrading to a 16'' wheel and tire to gain height. If I go with the 235/85R16 I will gain around 1.75' of height. I have found wheels that will fit my trailer and are rated for 110psi. Did the tire blowout from too much weight being on the rear tires? Yes I am quite sure of it. Does a load range "E" tire add up to cover the max weight of my trailer? Yes it does. But why not go higher? I had no intentions of going to a load range "G" tire as some are suggesting, but......I am not against it. I really would like an all steel tire but I have not been able to find one in that size at load range "F". Also in my consideration is price. Why not buy an all steel higher load range tire for the same price as a Goodyear Endurance load range "E" tire. I am not a full timer but a frequent weekend warrior. You guys are way smarter at this than me and most of you have thousands and thousands miles more than me pulling a trailer. That is why I am here asking questions. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about or overthinking it. I am reading everyone's reply and have read almost every thread I could find on tires and heck...โ€ฆโ€ฆ..I still cant decide what to do. Thanks!!!

Why not fix what I see as the root cause get your trailer as close to level as possible. Then worry about tires, I am sure you are putting a lot of extra weight on that rear axle. The equalizer can only compensate for so much out of level.

Did you read my post before you commented????? I AM fixing part of the issue of being out of level by adding 16โ€ rims and taller tires. After mounting the tires I will re-evaluate and see if a subframe is needed.

I saw that tires will only gain you half the difference in diameter of the two tires, I have posted several time a method and math to calculate how much you need
To raise the trailer at the tires, but I am on my. phone and it is time to walk the dog, maybe later when the computer is out.

A subframe still may be needed. But........there canโ€™t be any harm in going to a 16โ€ rim and taller tire as long as it fits. Way more options for tires in 16โ€ rim. If I go the 235/85R16 it will be roughly 1.75โ€ taller than what I have right now. I drove on 2โ€ blocks this past weekend and it changed from 6โ€ difference to 2.5โ€ difference.
Brian

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Endurance hasn't been around long enough to have a Stellar Record!"

Sorry ZERO non road hazard issues in over 3.5 years on the market DOES get the STELLAR rating!

I just removed a set of ST Sailuns that were 8 years old with no issues.
I replaced them with a new set of Sailuns I figure I'm good for another 8 years.
It takes 8 years to get the stellar rating, 3.5 years is not long enough!;):B

I believe that would qualify as STELLAR. Those thin treaded Endurance that wear out in 20k miles , reports of blowouts is far from STELLAR. They canโ€™t meet the weight ratings of most fifth wheels , especially with the new RIVA reserve requirements.

The Goodyear Endurance needs to be left out of the conversation when it comes to fifth wheels ,other then the very light fifth wheels being used by the weekend warriors.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
buck n duck wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
buck n duck wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
TOW-MASTER STR has the LRF if that is what you want.

https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/greenball/tow-master-str

<<< not politically correct >>>
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
buck n duck wrote:

Brian

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sorry ZERO non road hazard issues in over 3.5 years on the market DOES get the STELLAR rating!

I just removed a set of ST Sailuns that were 8 years old with no issues.
I replaced them with a new set of Sailuns I figure I'm good for another 8 years.
It takes 8 years to get the stellar rating, 3.5 years is not long enough!;):B
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
buck n duck wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
At 80 psi what is the rating of Sailuns vs Endurance?

Both are 3640. And looks like Endurance can go to 110 psi and 4400.

No the ENDURANCE nis 80 PSI on all "E" tires. Their chart shows a couple psi numbers that would apply to their "G" tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
If he is going to run 80 psi I would just get the Endurance.

You just don't understand! Them GY's have ZERO issues in 3.5 years just isn't good enough!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I assume just a matter of time.
Of course Sailun does has a few reports of issues. Still a good tire.

For the OP: whatever you decide, I recommend tires that carry the full GVWR. Virtually all OEM are marginal at best.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Explain why derating is not an option. and why is over tire a bad thing. I would rather be a bit over tired then close to the tire rating.

The last sentence in that reply answers your question.

This rv owner found out from actual experience what we talk about when a trailer is over tired.....

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/17 08:01am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
When it came time for me to replace our tires, I researched many different ways to go. I wound up purchasing 17.5" J rated medium duty truck tires and wheels. When all done and said, it was $5.00 per wheel and tire combo more than just replaceing the 16" tires. This tire and wheel combo is good for 6005 pounds each. Using the inflation chart to get the pressure for the load, I inflated to 80 psi which was good for 4500 pounds per tire. With the first tow with these tires to Kansas City, I have made this trip to the speedway several times before, I was down almost 2 mpg both ways. The tires were 20*-25* hotter than the truck, which I have never experienced before. I inflated them to the side wall pressure, 125 psi for max load, before our trip to Florida. Now the tires run 5*-10* cooler than the truck and my fuel mileage is back where it used to be. I have always run max pressure up until I installed these tires, with what I have experienced, I will continue to run what the side wall indicates.

Thanks for the reply . His solution was to air up, does not sound like he was unhappy after that. I have no way to compare. I haven't run a TPMS until last year, although I have ran it with two different fifth wheels ,same tire. Pretty much the same weight. I run my Sailuns at 100 psi now. Max is 110 psi. Both fifth wheels ran about the same temperature, and my mileage is the same.

I run the Sailun ST 235/85/16's, I don't need the 4400 lb. rating, but did want the little extra height. The ST 235/80/16 @ 4080 would of been okay. I have no idea what makes the Sailuns different in weight rating between the two, they appear to be constructed the same, I would guess just being a different size ?? Both 110 psi max inflation.

My whole point has been if he wants an F rated tire, he might as well go to a G rated ,and get the best tire . G is going to be easier to find, more selection etc. Will E work ,sure it will. Its his choice. He could run those Sailuns at around 90-95, and not have a problem. I'm running mine with 100, and no problems . His weight on the tires are not going to cause any issues .

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Have you thought about adding a sub-frame under your 5er to increase height? 6" is a lot to be out of level. Seems like you'll still get some premature wear even with G or F's.

I have and still might do it. I drove my trailer on 2" blocks and it went from 6" difference to 2.5" difference. So I am going to get the tires and rims and then see how it looks/measures out.
Brian