cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson Ultimate vs Pullrite Superlite

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably be purchasing a new Short bed Extended Cab TV in the next few months and am also looking into new 5th wheel hitches.

At present the Anderson Ultimate and the PullRite SuperLite (Trailer Life, Nov, 2016 article) hitches have caught my interest. In monitoring this as well as other RV blogs, other than early production issues, almost all owners are happy with either one. One of the differences that I can see is that between the 2 brands they have reversed the positions of the "Ball" and "Funnel Shaped Cup". I.e. On the Andersen the ball is in the TV bed with the "cup" and latching device mounted upside down on the pin box and the PullRite is just the opposite, the "Ball" is mounted upside down on the pin box, and the "Cup" is mounted in the TV bed.

Is there any clear cut advantage to either way?

In my mind the Anderson overall looks to be something that was clobbered up by a engineer and a welder to prove a concept, while the SuperLite looks more "professional " and has a "finished" product look. Probably only Cosmetic!

When hitching up/disconnecting a extended cab short bed truck can you see over the back seat and see either hitch base in the rear view mirror? If not, what tricks have discovered to assist you in lining up the ball and cup?

One of my local dealers who sells both brands says that because of the 5 inch off set built into the base and the 4 inch off set in the coupler block in the Anderson that there isn't the the sharp turning interference problem between the cab/5W on short bed PU's as there is with the SuperLite. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and comments!

Coxid
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS
23 REPLIES 23

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Justaguy wrote:
************Pullrite does NOT recommend the Superlite for anything other than the long bed.***************************************

And Andersen should also. Chris

I don't understand why you say that. My Andersen is in a short bed and I can make 90 degree turns which I could NOT do with the Reese 16K hitch it replaced. Andersen recommends their Ultimate for use in short beds for good reason; it works.
To me, the biggest difference between the Andersen Ultimate and Pullrite is that the Andersen has greater adjustability. My rail mount can be installed with the ball closer to the cab for a long bed and closer to the tailgate for a short bed. Then the adapter can also be adjusted either way.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Pullrite superlite has only been around since late '15 or early '16.
The Andersen is lighter and aluminum does not mean weaker
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
One difference worth thinking about should you have a newer rig that will quite probably be spending time at the dealers is the different ball adapter. With the Andersen type the dealer can use the ball on his forklift to move the trailer without you're removing the adapter. Of course on mine the dealer damaged the hitch adapter twice doing this. The ball didn't go deep enough into the socket and damaged the lip where the lock pin slides. The first time it was easy to blend out with sandpaper, the second time they replaced the adapter.

Also keep in mind that with the Andersen, and the Pullrite from what I can see, you change the effective length of the pin box, which could be a plus or a negative.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ Good call on the safety chains.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pbmazda32
Explorer
Explorer
I think the difference between the two would be personal preference. They both look nice. I don't know what the pullrite cost but I picked my Anderson up for $480.

First tow yesterday. Holy **** does a 5th wheel pull nice. I had no idea. I don't have the funnel on my Anderson either but had no issues hitching up. Rode a lot smoother than my bumper pull hitch and all the little steering corrections I used to have to do are gone. Gotta home and unhitched with ease. This is the first 5th wheel I've ever had, so my knowledge is limited, butt the Anderson and the pullrite seem to have the best of both worlds between the 5th wheel and a bumper hitch. I went ahead and put the safety chain kit Anderson sells on my camper as I'm not sure if a highway patrolman will think my hitch is a ball hitch or a 5th wheel. Better safe than sorry.

Hal_B
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I don't have any info on the Andersen or the Pullrite but there is a new third option when it comes to this piramid "lightweight" fifth wheel hitch.

That is the Demco Recon

Here is the product page on eTrailer.com

I like that it mounts to industry standard rails so no bed deflection. I also like that it uses a conventional hitch head. Demco hitch heads are single jaw and locking bar in design and are very secure. 21k lb rating and you can pick one up for about $500.00 ish. It breaks down into two pieces so it's still easy to manage.

If I were shopping for one of these light weight hitches I would really consider one of these Demco Recons.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

For those driving dually's, I doubt it would be easy to reach that handle while the 5th wheel is attached.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moderator note:
I have cleaned up the off topic posts in this thread in hopes of keeping this thread alive. Please refrain from some of your private feuds and keep your remarks on topic - which is comparing the Anderson Ultimate hitch vs the Pullrite Superlite hitch. Thank you.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pbmazda32
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done installing the rail mount Anderson in my truck. It's pretty easy to mount the latch handle in a place where you can see it while your driving down the road, then when you have that moment where your not sure if you checked it, you can easily look through the window and see. I'll do my first tow with it tomorrow. Doing a test tow for a shakedown and then doing a trip from Ohio to Alabama later this week. First time with a 5th wheel camper, I hope it pulls nice.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don & Barb Bogue wrote:
We have ben using the pull rite sense 2005. No real problems, hooking up or unhooking. Have pulled U-Turns on a 2 lane road where another street T into it. Traveling North on 101 co-piolet directed wrong turn on hy-1 south needed north. One block going wrong way 4 lanes 2 each way 2 left turn lanes. Used both turn lanes and 2 lanes going the other way to turn around, smooth even turn no back and forth. Best hitch for the money...

Is yours the " PullRite SuperLite" ? I thought that was a more recent design???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO both are QUALITY made products. The PullRite IMHO has a realistic rating of 20K and does NOT rely on the beds corrugated metal for fore and aft support. The PullRite has different mounting options that are solid and won't cause bed deflection. Also the ball locking mechanism on the Andersen is a T handle that has to be mounted to the bottom to the RV that makes it easy to reach BUT also easy for someone to pull while at rest area or? The PullRite would be harder to do so. Not sure it PR can be locked, so far I have not seen a way to lock Andersen.

I don't know exactly what the SAEJ2638 rating PR uses to obtain the 20K rating means. But I would say they are conservative like B&W are. Andersen just recently re designed their Ultimate because when towing heavy and braking hard the Aluminum tubes would bend.

I know, I know I am bashing! So lets just let everyone have their opinion with out calling names please.

Just to clarify, the Andersen Ultimate hitch comes in two versions - a gooseneck mount and a rail mount. The OP is asking about the rail mount version since he is comparing it to the rail mount Pullrite SuperLite which is the only type of ball hitch Pullrite makes.

This posters comments apply, with one exception, to the gooseneck version of the Andersen Ultimate. Andersen's rail mount Ultimate will NOT cause bed damage since it sits on rails and never comes in contact with the bed. In this respect, it is the same as the Pullrite.

The Andersen rail mount is made of steel, not aluminum. I have never read, on this forum or anywhere else, of any problems related to its structural integrity. It's rated at 20K, and if it won't carry that, where's the proof?

Both versions of the Ultimate hitch use the same type of locking handle, and currently there is no practical way to prevent tampering.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the funnel attachment on my Andersen UH, but it's never been an issue to connect. It's a great hitch, well designed and super easy to use. Some folks go on and on about how their weight rating is unrealistic, but that's just a bogus claim that's never been substantiated. Search the Internet high and low and you'll find only a few cases where users have experienced some type of problem.

I wouldn't worry about the inability to lock the hitch adapter. Considering that the vast majority of folks don't lock even their standard hitches, this shouldn't be an issue. Besides, if I stop at a rest area or any other places where I have to leave my camper, I (along with all other prudent travelers) do a walk-around of the unit. It's easy for me to observe and/or check the locking mechanism.

The Pull-Rite came along after the Andersen and appears to also be a fine quality product. I'd be happy to own either of them. Moreover, both of these products are fulfilling a response in industry to have a different type of hitch for 5ers. The puck system is doing the same thing. An industry that doesn't change and adapt to new demands and technology is miserable. I'm sure it won't be long until the vaunted B & W comes out with a similar product...in which case I'm sure it will be absolutely flawless and immune to any criticism.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
eb145 wrote:
My Andersen Aluminum hitch works fine with my short bed ram. No clearance problems in 2 years so far.

Ditto.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have not used the Anderson. I have used Pullright and can recommend it as an excellent hitch. However when I went to a dually with puck system I went to B&W. due to best price. Definitely best hitch I've ever used and I've probably used 4 different ones.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
My Andersen Aluminum hitch works fine with my short bed ram. No clearance problems in 2 years so far.