cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Newbie Question about Brands

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are thinking, still just in thinking about it stage, but, may consider a fifth wheeler/pu rig. I have a question posted in the towing vehicles section about which truck, etc., but, I would/could really use the opinion and experiences of folks here when it comes to recommending a brand that is well built, good customer service, and comfortable for 2 adults and 1 labrador retriever. We want to stay between 25-30 feet, closer to 25 if possible. Thanks in advance, cycler.

Should mention top msrp for us would be 40-42k, or thereabouts.
20 REPLIES 20

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox are very well built, we just did a 9000 mile trip in ours which is new to us. You may not find many on the east coast tho. But that said AF still has some quirks and problems. All of them will. You will find that many brands use components: frames and other items from Lippert and Lippert does not have a golden reputation among people here.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

I will agree on the fact that KZ, Jayco and Grand Design all have good following..

I never owned a Jayco, or Grand Design, BUT I did own a KZ and their support was awesome ! the product I had is no longer around ( Montego Bay Fifth Wheel ) but wouldn't think twice about telling folks about them..

Buying an RV these days is like a CR@$ shoot, since MOST are owned by 1 huge corporation (like Thor), they all went down hill...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
On the 5ers, as said above, all will have someone out there that has had trouble with them and will go against any brand over quality.
Keystones cougars are well considered generally as are the Grand Design reflection and reflection 150 models, in particular Grand Design has a better rep for standing behind their product.
Jayco and K-Z also have followings of folks with a lot of positive responses, and better than average support.

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Less than about 28' you really would be better suited in a pull-behind travel trailer.

Why do you say that? I was always told that a fifth wheeler makes for a safer towing experience. Of course, this is when I was working and hanging with co-workers, none of us having actually towed a travel trailer of fifth wheeler.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I have a question posted in the towing vehicles section about which truck, etc.,"

Select or buy the 5er first, then match a TV to it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Everyone here is shy about recommending a brand, because we've learned they all suck more than they should. And, as soon as we do recommend a brand, the next guy says he would buy anything other than that one.

I'm mostly not shy about anything. So I will say I like the Cougar in the smaller sizes. Mine is 28'-9" overall.

waiting...waiting...waiting...

You'll have more choices if you get closer to the 30' size or a little more. Less than about 28' you really would be better suited in a pull-behind travel trailer.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver