cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna question on new 5th wheel

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
We took delivery today of our 2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS fifth wheel. My husband spent most of the afternoon trying to get over the air channel reception. With our old 5th wheel in the same spot, we used to get 25 channels or so. Nothing with this one. It has a King Jack antenna. My husband was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this? Also, any happy or unhappy opinions on the tvs that come with the unit? Thanks...
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.
25 REPLIES 25

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dukecity426 wrote:
Well Folks I FIXED IT! Here is what happened.I got up at 5:00 AM (when it was still dark) and went outside to see if the red light was on at the bottom of the King Jack antenna, and it was. Then I went inside removed the directional handle and the surround. I used a bore camera and looked at the bottom side of the antenna and saw that the coaxial cable was hooked up. Then I used a 19 inch Vizio TV as a test TV. Went into the bedroom and scanned for antenna channels there. To my surprise I received 68 channels. So my problem was between the signal booster and the living room TV. Removed the radio and again used the bore camera and found a splitter. Pulled the splitter and found that all the cables were in the out position and no input. So I looked inside the cabinet and used a coat hanger and pulled a coaxial cable that was not hooked up. Took that cable and installed it to the input and now we have TV everywhere.A long process but I couldn't have done it without the suggestion from ya'll. So Thanks again. Bruce

So typical...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Congrats Bruce!! It's always nice to hear a success story that the owner fixed himself!

Jerry

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Dukecity426 wrote:
Well Folks I FIXED IT! Here is what happened.I got up at 5:00 AM (when it was still dark) and went outside to see if the red light was on at the bottom of the King Jack antenna, and it was. Then I went inside removed the directional handle and the surround. I used a bore camera and looked at the bottom side of the antenna and saw that the coaxial cable was hooked up. Then I used a 19 inch Vizio TV as a test TV. Went into the bedroom and scanned for antenna channels there. To my surprise I received 68 channels. So my problem was between the signal booster and the living room TV. Removed the radio and again used the bore camera and found a splitter. Pulled the splitter and found that all the cables were in the out position and no input. So I looked inside the cabinet and used a coat hanger and pulled a coaxial cable that was not hooked up. Took that cable and installed it to the input and now we have TV everywhere.A long process but I couldn't have done it without the suggestion from ya'll. So Thanks again. Bruce

I always laugh when I hear stories like this. One of the big advantages that GD advertises is that they perform a thorough PDI at a different facility after fabrication. But when you read stories like not having the coax cables connected in the right place, it makes you wonder. This is something that should be brought to the attention of the GD customer services folks. If you join the other forum, there's a place on there where you can supposedly share such stories with GD and they're responsive to it.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Judgerr
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Always good to see someone solve a problem from help received here! :):)
2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat 4x2 Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II, Bilsteins,
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname from USMC days!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Dukecity426 wrote:
Thanks Jerry. Do I have to go on the roof to see this light? The King Jack that we have does not have any lights inside the coach.

This response confuses me, especially compared to your previous comment where you said you confirmed that the amplifier is on. We too have a 2018 GD Reflection (different model), but the systems are probably identical. If the amplifier is on, there should be a little green light that's present on the ceiling next to the bedroom TV jack. As a side note, all 3 of our RV's (different brands) were the same way and the push-button for the amp was in the bedroom. Otherwise, I would suggest the appropriate TV channel scan, but it appears that you may have already done that.

Our GD came with a TCL smart TV. I bought the same TV (though smaller) last year for our other camper. While it is far from being high-end, it gets excellent reviews. Yes, it's cheaper than many, but it appears to be a pretty solid TV.

Also, if you haven't done so, join the GD owner's forum. It has far better brand-specific information than what you'll find here.

Well the light is on in the bedroom. What I also did today was to switch TV's. I used our Vizio TV (from the 5th wheel that we just sold) just so that I could compare. I am comfortable with how to use the scan feature for antenna TV on the Visio, just in case I am not doing something right withe the TCL TV. Still zero channels. As I mentioned earlier I bought a GE HD antenna and I received over 50 channels. (By the way the TCL TV has a beautiful picture) So I will check tomorrow on the roof and see what happens. I'll let you know........Thanks Bruce

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Hey guys...hoping to not confuse things, but my King Jack has a red light that glows on the underside of the Jack head itself, when powered up. Mine is several years old, and things may have changed. Mine is a replacement, due to the poor performance of the original omni antenna. My omni had no power button or light on the inside, but did work well for short distance broadcast.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry: I will get up on the roof tomorrow and check that out. Right now it is 90 plus in the sunlight and I do not think that on the roof is where I want to be. I'll let you know tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess it will be minor surgery to see if the cables are hooked up properly.

Bruce

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey guys...hoping to not confuse things, but my King Jack has a red light that glows on the underside of the Jack head itself, when powered up. Mine is several years old, and things may have changed. Mine is a replacement, due to the poor performance of the original omni antenna. My omni had no power button or light on the inside, but did work well for short distance broadcast.

Jerry

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Dukecity426 wrote:
Thanks Jerry. Do I have to go on the roof to see this light? The King Jack that we have does not have any lights inside the coach.

This response confuses me, especially compared to your previous comment where you said you confirmed that the amplifier is on. We too have a 2018 GD Reflection (different model), but the systems are probably identical. If the amplifier is on, there should be a little green light that's present on the ceiling next to the bedroom TV jack. As a side note, all 3 of our RV's (different brands) were the same way and the push-button for the amp was in the bedroom. Otherwise, I would suggest the appropriate TV channel scan, but it appears that you may have already done that.

Our GD came with a TCL smart TV. I bought the same TV (though smaller) last year for our other camper. While it is far from being high-end, it gets excellent reviews. Yes, it's cheaper than many, but it appears to be a pretty solid TV.

Also, if you haven't done so, join the GD owner's forum. It has far better brand-specific information than what you'll find here.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
AFAIK, all Jacks are similar. You did not say if the red light, on the bottom side of the antenna is on. Do you know where to look for it? It can be hard to see in bright daylight, but easily seen in the dark. If not, there is no power to it. It could be a bad/loose coax connection also. In any case, the King Jack works well, if properly installed.

Jerry

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
Another update...........The King Jack that we have does not have a signal indicator..............I guess we got the least expensive.

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
To All: Today I went to Wally world and purchased a GE HD antenna (table top) to see if I can get any channels at all. This antenna is sitting on the kitchen table and when I did a scan,I got 54 channels. So what does that tell me now? I guess I will have to go up on the roof and see if the cables are properly connected. Any other suggestions? Thanks to All for your input.

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Did you turn in the signal booster? Same thing happened to me. Then back in the master bed room I found the little black push button on the brown coax cover plate. It was very difficult to see. Once I turned on the booster we located all kinds of channels.
I will have to check this out asap. Thanks for the suggestion.