cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 27-5L

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously considering purchasing this unit, and am curious whether these are still as highly regarded as they seem to have been in the past. I live in Richmond, and it's going to cost me about $3000 to have it shipped to me from Montana, but I'm willing to spend that if Arctic Fox is really as good as everyone says they are.

Basically I'm looking for something small, but full-time livable that can be used in all sorts of weather (though not sub-zero temps or anything too extreme) and, more importantly, something which will hold it's resale value if I decide to go in a different direction in 3-4 years.

The price point is about $50K, which is about what I want to spend. I guess I'm asking for some encouragement, or for some other recommendations that meet my requirements. One of the biggest things in addition to high quality is the size, slightly under 30 feet. I haven't found many units that have the layout I want (A long slide wall where I can basically do anything I want to without having to work around built in cabinets or anything like that).

Any input is appreciated.
49 REPLIES 49

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Doesn't make any difference, just curious, are you in:
Richmond, Texas
Richmond, Virginia
Richmond, California
?

Richmond Texas
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
On the subject of the front cap fade I think it was only the 2013 and 2014 models with the darker gray cap. In 2015 Northwood changed to the lighter gray and I believe they also changed cap makers. If you have a darker gray front cap you are on your own as NW won't touch it.
Icseds wrote:
These are like unicorns on the east coast.
I liked that, of course if you live on the East Coast that's not funny.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

“Going to the mountains is going home.” John Muir

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Very interested in this 27-5L also. Kelly has one on order and so does Mike Jones. Mike Jones supposedly has one coming in a week or two. Will drive back up there from NC for a look (was there a few weeks ago looking at the AF toTT's). These are like unicorns on the east coast.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RVA Jeff wrote:
Well, at least it's different, so maybe that's a good sign. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to use a dark color -- my current Bighorn has a huge and bright Ram on the cap, is four years old and looks the same as it did new

Guessing your BH is painted. Northwood and others have gel coated caps.

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well, at least SOME things appear to be improving instead of going the wrong way 🙂

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
RollandB wrote:
I'm not sure when they changed from the dark gray to the light gray cap but our 2016 has the light gray which is holding up fine.

I was thinking it was 2015, but maybe 2014.

It wasn't 2014, as mine is a 2014 and the front cap has faded. I think it was 2016.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RollandB wrote:
I'm not sure when they changed from the dark gray to the light gray cap but our 2016 has the light gray which is holding up fine.

I was thinking it was 2015, but maybe 2014.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well, at least it's different, so maybe that's a good sign. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to use a dark color -- my current Bighorn has a huge and bright Ram on the cap, is four years old and looks the same as it did new

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
They went to a lighter gray on the AF models. Also went from a dark brown to a light tan color on the Fox Mountain. Have not heard of anyone having fade problems since. Also a fire destroyed the plant where the older style caps were made. Not saying the new MFG is any better.

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
That cap fading issue is odd..I wonder if they have resolved it for the last couple model years?

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 27-5L and in a word - Heavy! Ours loaded out ready to camp weighs 11500lbs. The 2013 is 28 feet long and I too do not like the electric dump valves that came on ours. We've Boondocked in ours over 200 days so far and no problems. We use a Big Buddy for heat and it keeps the trailer nice and warm in temps down to 15 degrees fahrenheit. The absolute biggest problem we and others have with the 2013 and 2014 models is the gray front cap fades really fast and bad, your only option is having it painted at your expense.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

“Going to the mountains is going home.” John Muir

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a slightly used 2015 27-5L about a week ago. It is a great quality trailer and there is attention to detail but a few things I noticed while crawling around under it are the wires are stripped too long and crimped with the copper hanging out. I'll be addressing that first thing. There is also a decent size lag bolt that has worked its way out.

Other than those things, nothing else I could find.
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865

Jon_L
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2014 27-5. Haven't had any problems with the elect. dump valves. Knock on wood