cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 29-5K feedback?

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
Any feedback on this model? Good/Bad? Happy with your purchase? Does the slide room wall that blocks the fridge when it's retracted bother you? We love this floorplan and the overall feel of the coach and put a hold deposit on a 2019 but want to get owners thoughts on them.

Are they really this heavy compared to the other floorplans? How do they tow? I towed a 3 axle 38' toy hauler 5er for 10+ years that had a pin weight that fluctuated between 2900-3200lbs and axle weights between 11,500-14,000lbs depending what was loaded in it. Because it was a toy hauler, the axles were located further back compared to a travel trailer which resulted in a pretty big spread between the truck axle and the trailer axles and it had a tendency to chuck and jolt around. Hoping the AF will be a smoother, more comfortable tow.

We tried the moho route for 1.5 years but **** driving inside the rolling earthquake was more than I could handle so had to finally give in and put it up for sale. It goes to it's new home this weekend.
John

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT2 CC LB 4x4 DMAX/ALLISON
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD Cummins ISL 400hp
2017 Mirage UCH16 car hauler trailer
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 4x4 "ol flakey"
2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)
13 REPLIES 13

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
ElCaminoManT wrote:
Fortunately for us the dealer here has a good long standing relationship with Northwood in case we need it.

Rv construction in general really leaves a LOT to be desired, regardless of price point it seems. Within our group of RVs that we regularly camp with, there is a Mobile Suites. That is one NICE rig but I’m a bit surprised at the issues that have been had with that trailer, not what I would expect for what they cost. And I’m not talking about the equipment inside but rather structural and electrical systems.

We’ve looked at/been inside of literally hundreds of trailers and motorhomes over the last few years and we keep coming back to the Arctic Foxes. To me they feel better built. I like that they do not have all the flash and glitter. Even the wife says she feels a difference. I’m 6’5”/265lbs and usually as soon as I step foot inside a rig, the way a floor feels under my feet gives me an indication of how the unit is built. The chassis also looks far stronger than anything coming out of Indiana.

There is no perfect unit, I’m just hoping to not get into another unpleasant situation like what we had with our moho. I will say that we’re not particularly fond of the new interior colors/finishes they are putting in for this new model year. The counter color is hideous! The one we’re looking at is an early 2019 so still has the graphics, darker counters and more cherry colored cabinets of the 2018 models.

We also have been looking into full-timing at some point in the future so the carrying capacity, tank capacities and storage room that the 29-5k has is another thing that appeals to us.

You’ve done your homework. Scott is correct about the dealer being very important.

When people look high and low the glitzy differences that sell rigs does show up and don’t really mean a lot. I was talking to a buddy recently who snow birds. He is helping a fellow RV neighbor change out equalizers and installing wet bolts. His fifth wheel is the same as mine, his neighbors is a Redwood. What they found was his neighbors Redwood didn’t come with shocks and plastic bushings instead of wet bolts.

In the RV world, it truly is buyer beware, thus having a dealer that brings value. Mine did when I paid a small repair bill while on the road from a Dexter seal problem and got me fully reimbursed by NW.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well electrical: I'm currently fighting with an stupid electrical problem in my unit, tho I understand this applies to other models too. NR installed two exterior junction boxes on curb side. One directly ABOVE the WHEELS?! And one just behind the two wheels. And furthermore tho they used 'weatherproof' boxes those boxes are not proof against being blasted by rain water thrown up by the wheels directly against the box.

So I discovered if I turned on the over the table light all the 12V circuits went off. Turning it off repowered the other circuits. This reminded me of something Lucas Electrics would produce. Queries on NROA lead to the boxes and one suggestion was replacing the covers which used 2 screws with ones that use 4 screws. Then applying a heavy layer of silicone after the box is closed. I got the box covers at Lowes. Opening the above the wheel box found it full of water.

I drained that, blasted the box several times with contact cleaner to dry the inside and looking at the wiring. There are 4 wires, two crimped together and one loose wire that seemed to be attached to something. More questions on NROA got the hint that these should be spliced together, did that and the 12V circuits went out. Separated them, have 12 V but the converter isn't charging the battery. Right now I'm in the puzzlement stage, you know 'what the heck?'
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ElCaminoManT wrote:
ScottG wrote:
As stated above, one of the things I like about NW products is that they don't have a lot of the new blingly junk. Mainly multiplexed control over lights, etc. The industry simply doesn't have the quality in emgineering and especially, matierials, to use this technology reliablely. It's also completley unneccesary.

Funny you mention that as I think the current build units appear to be coming with the touch screen control systems for the lights and other functions. I'm not a fan of that!! I like a regular ol trusty switch!

Well that's disappointing! NW wiring is sloppy and they even had things wired backwards.

Normal switches work fine and I like the ability to change things easily.
My trailer came with a switch by the main entry door that turns on the toe-kick lights in kitchen and the bathroom.
It was nice to be able to install another switch in the bath to fix this sillyness.

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
As stated above, one of the things I like about NW products is that they don't have a lot of the new blingly junk. Mainly multiplexed control over lights, etc. The industry simply doesn't have the quality in emgineering and especially, matierials, to use this technology reliablely. It's also completley unneccesary.

Funny you mention that as I think the current build units appear to be coming with the touch screen control systems for the lights and other functions. I'm not a fan of that!! I like a regular ol trusty switch!
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately for us the dealer here has a good long standing relationship with Northwood in case we need it.

Rv construction in general really leaves a LOT to be desired, regardless of price point it seems. Within our group of RVs that we regularly camp with, there is a Mobile Suites. That is one NICE rig but I’m a bit surprised at the issues that have been had with that trailer, not what I would expect for what they cost. And I’m not talking about the equipment inside but rather structural and electrical systems.

We’ve looked at/been inside of literally hundreds of trailers and motorhomes over the last few years and we keep coming back to the Arctic Foxes. To me they feel better built. I like that they do not have all the flash and glitter. Even the wife says she feels a difference. I’m 6’5”/265lbs and usually as soon as I step foot inside a rig, the way a floor feels under my feet gives me an indication of how the unit is built. The chassis also looks far stronger than anything coming out of Indiana.

There is no perfect unit, I’m just hoping to not get into another unpleasant situation like what we had with our moho. I will say that we’re not particularly fond of the new interior colors/finishes they are putting in for this new model year. The counter color is hideous! The one we’re looking at is an early 2019 so still has the graphics, darker counters and more cherry colored cabinets of the 2018 models.

We also have been looking into full-timing at some point in the future so the carrying capacity, tank capacities and storage room that the 29-5k has is another thing that appeals to us.
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We bought our 32A last year.
The most important thing I can tell you is to have a strong, high volume dealer behind you.
If something is seriously (read "expensive") wrong with your RV, Northwood will say pretty much anything to get out of it. Only the strength of good dealer behind you will get action.
Now I know there will be folks out there who will argue about this but that was my ACTUAL experience.
Don't read too much into the percieved quality of NW products. If the avg RV is a 5, NW stuff is probably a 6. In many ways my TT, the flagship model, is not built as well as my old 2004 Wildcat was.
What the extra cost of a AF gets you is more Hardware related. Stuff like more and bigger windows (some models are dual pane), better water pump and water heater. Also solid surface Kitchen and bath counters (but not ALL counters). Lots of other stuff.
It also gets you a superior chassis frame - the only thing that's better than my old WIldcat. The house frame is inferior.

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
I just registered over at NROA so will post there shortly. Have been searching and reading there for a bit.

Truck has air helper bags and 17” wheels with 285 series 126R load tires good for 3,750lbs each. I know it’ll be over the GVWR but should be fine on the axles. Even fully loaded with the old toy hauler it could be as much as 3k over the GCWR but was under all of my axle ratings. All in how the weight is distributed.

The truck can be upgraded, I’m more concerned with the trailer and how people like them since that is something I would like to keep for many years. I’m trying to do as much research as I can this time around after having such an unpleasant moho experience.

Sure wish you could ‘test tow’ a trailer like we’re able to ‘test drive’ a moho and cars.
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This unit was on my shortlist but Arctic Fox was slow in releasing them last Spring when we purchased. And the dealer sales person was a jerk. I loved the sink not being on the island. Arctic Fox quality is always considered one of the best out there.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll give you a unique perspective. We currently have an 2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, before that we had a Komfort rear kitchen, the floor plan was very simular to the 29-5K.

For the floor plan, we never had an issue with the fridge being blocked by the slide. We still haul things to the trailer in batches, bedroom going there, food headed to the kitchen, etc. For the food, we just would wait to fill the fridge once the slide was out and fill it all at the same time. When traveling if we planned a lunch stop we would plan accordingly with a few things in a small cooler. The living area was very good as was the bed/bathroom area.

Now to the Arctic Fox. They are known to be heavy rigs. Ours is about the same weight as our Komfort was, but is about 4 feet shorter. The difference in the trailer length is between the pin box and axles. Ours tows better than the Komfort and being shorter is easier getting into tight sites and can pick from more sites. Arctic Fox builds a very good rig for the price point. That’s not saying they don’t have some quality control issues. Some we had were pretty minor. I’ve done many mods with ours so learned many of the componants are better than other brands. They build their own frames which is one thing they are known for and are excellent.

If you have time, check out the NROA forum, its full of knowledgeable folks and information.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well as to the floor plan our 2005 Copper Canyon has a very similar floor plan. Personally I don't find having the refer blocked with the slides in a big deal, many consider it a deal breaker.
DW likes the large rear kitchen, the AF counter layout is slightly different as our sink is on the peninsula.
The AF is much heaver than ours with a DRY weight about what we tow ours at and a 16,100# GVWR.

Arctic Fox 29-5K
Specifications:

Dry Axle Weight (approx. Lbs.): 9,448
Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.): 2,921
Net Carrying Capacity: 3,731
Gross Dry Weight – Lbs.: 12,369
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) – Lbs.: 16,100
Exterior Length (approx. w / hitch): 35’2?
Exterior Height (approx.): 13’4?
Exterior Width (approx.): 8’6?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the 25Y but just got it. I suggest you check the NROA site which is very active for specific info. You have to email the owner and apply for membership, info at that address.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weight may be your only issue. It is a heavy trailer for it's size. What is you rear axle rating and tire rating. It appears you should have LT265/75R16E rated to 3415. You could/will exceed you 9900 GVWR, but will sneak under the rear axle rating if it matches close to the tire rating.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021