cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

are my cords too long

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 amp outlet in my garage and plug in a 50 foot 30 amp cord to a pig tail to the 20 foot 50 amp cord . The refrigerator is working but neither of the 2 air conditioners are. Do you think I am losing power due to the length?
11 REPLIES 11

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
agwill wrote:
30 Amp cord does not carry second 110 volt line. It only has 1 hot,1 neutral and ground. 50 amp cord has two hots, 1 neutral and ground.

True but so long as you have no 240v devices (most RVs don't), you can feed both legs of the 50amp from the single 30amp. A lot of the adapeters do just this.

The catch is you are limited to 30amps total while a 50amp gives you 2 - 50amp legs so, you have to watch what is running or you can pop breakers...or burn something out if the breaker doesn't give first. Running both air/con units is likely to be an issue but one should be fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are 30 to 50 amp adapters.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
From the original post it sounds like you have few options to help figure this out.

The issue is your house 30 amp outlet only feeds one hot wire. A 50 amp outlet has 2 hot wires. You are using an adapter to split from one hot wire to two hot wires.

If your RV has a 50 amp cord then it has two separate hot wires coming in. In simplified terms; One wire provides power to run the AC's. The other wire provides power to run the refrigerator and other stuff.

Your 30 to 50 amp adapter is supposed to take the power from the one hot wire from the house and split it into two hot wires going to the RV. You need to figure out where the second hot wire is broken (not getting into the RV).

In the RV check the breaker panel for a tripped breaker.

If you do not have a multimeter try borrowing a different 30 to 50 amp adapter and test.

If you have a multimeter then set it to volts AC and check at the house wall plug and then at the end of the 30 to 50 amp adapter. you are looking for 120 volts in all checks like below.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
30 Amp cord does not carry second 110 volt line. It only has 1 hot,1 neutral and ground. 50 amp cord has two hots, 1 neutral and ground.
al

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Running 1 AC shouldn't be a problem. 2 has a good chance you pop a breaker or burn something up.

Time for a bit of testing. Get a voltage meter and check what you are getting.
- Start at the outlet and check that you have 120v.
- At the end of the first cord, check you have voltage.
- At the end of the next cord, check you have voltage.
- For the 50amp adapter, confirm you have 120v on both legs.
- Check that you have voltage at all the outlets in the RV.

What type of fridge do you have? If it's 12v or operating off propane, you don't need shore power, so that doesn't tell us much (if it's 120v and is set to run off an inverter, likewise, that doesn't prove that you have AC power).

Probably 95% chance, those checks will find the issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we are currently spending a month at our daughters place. I have 63' of cable to get to the 30 amp outlet in her garage, the big difference is that all 63' is 50 amp cable 6/4 SOOW, this can easily carry 30 amps the distance, long cable needs larger gauge wire.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've run longer. What is the voltage on both 120V legs in the RV?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rigdon wrote:
Some of the 30to 50 amp adapters only carry one leg or half of the circuit to the camper.

I can't stand under how it could possibly carry both legs and ground on 3 conductors, no matter size or length.

Rigdon
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the 30to 50 amp adapters only carry one leg or half of the circuit to the camper.
Steve & Karen

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Possible. Measure the voltage inside the RV outlet with a load running. (electric heater)
Mine works with a similar hookup but my extension is only 25 ft long.
Also what size wire was used on the 30 amp outlet in the garage, should be al least #10 gauge.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ceasare,

Check the other outlets in the RV.

Sounds as if one leg is not getting any power.

It may be wise to only run 1 air conditioner--and do monitor the voltage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.