cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary fuel tank

Lash1948
Explorer
Explorer
I have an auxiliary fuel tank on my truck. It is connected to the fuel line before the fuel filter. When towing the fuel in the trucks main tank is used first and then gage reads empty. At this point fuel is being drawn from the auxiliary tank, but the gage still shows empty. My question is, am I damaging the fuel pump because the main tank is empty?
4 REPLIES 4

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
my '05 had an aux. tank, it drained into the main tank via an inline "T" with a special anti-siphon deal. Worked awesome except I'd get a CEL whenever I filled both and the computer sensed no change in fuel level after driving 200+ miles or so. It always reset after the main tank started to drain, just a nuisance. Other than that it worked great.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a deezee aux tank installed gravity feed. I filled my aux and ran of the main tank until 1/2 full. I opened the valve and you could see it rise over a period of time. I made from fort erie to Bristol speedway without stopping. Love it and no engine light which was a concern.That was pulling my 16000 lb trailer also

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Lash1948 wrote:
I have an auxiliary fuel tank on my truck. It is connected to the fuel line before the fuel filter. When towing the fuel in the trucks main tank is used first and then gage reads empty. At this point fuel is being drawn from the auxiliary tank, but the gage still shows empty. My question is, am I damaging the fuel pump because the main tank is empty?

My first thought when reading this was the fuel pump is toast.
But I'm definitely no mechanic.

I gravity feed to filler hose.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lash1948 wrote:

Call "Transfer Flow" in Chico Calif. with your question.