cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awnings

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Even though we have led awnings lights we like to hand decorative lights from the awning. The question I have can you strap the awning down, it is an electric awning. If it got a little breezy why we were out or sleeping this would help from wind flipping the awning.
In use ratchet straps with springs attached to dog ties screwed into ground. This still gives some flexibility.

Thanks for your help.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013
16 REPLIES 16

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
My rule is if were away or sleeping...awning gets pulled in. Its the push of a button vs $2000+ to repair/replace. Only 2 kinds of rver's, those who have damaged an awning and those who are unaware of how "flimsy" they really are.

We went camping this weekend - beautiful, hot weather 0% chance of rain, then it thundered, lightening, hail and lots of wind. 4 folks lost there awning completely that I saw, my neighbor had tears on both sides of his, and a lot of canopy pop ups and tents in the dumpster the next day. If I am away or at night it gets rolled up. I have had too many close calls

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can tie down an electric awning and leave it up for months with no issues. What you need to do is mod it. I have telescopic, adjustable poles so I can carport our Dometic 9100 and ratchet strap it down tight. I also have adjustable poles that connect from top near the rail to roller arm, so deflapper clips can be used.

It was tested a few years back when a front blew through with documented 70 mph gusts. No damage whatsoever.

There were a couple of guys on the Forest River boards who were selling brackets and poles as kits.....I don't think they still do.

It's a very good mod....and all self storing.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a picture handy, but we use three ratchet straps on our 21' manual awning to hold it down. We were hosting on the Oregon Coast and very seldom needed to bring it in. We did have some protection from the south by trees and brush. The middle strap was connected to two light hanging tabs. The fabric with grommet you can get at CW.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bar-OneRanch
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful not to put too much tension on the straps if you tie it down. We were at Myrtle Beach, and it's always windy there, so I had put the tie downs on that we had used with last trailers regular awning. It started to pull the screws out of the side of trailer at each end of the fabric.
Chris

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
To those of you who =do= tie down your electric awnings and who have the "auto dump" feature to dump rain off, have you had this happen while tied down? Any issues with the awning "recovering" after the dump?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ctr50863 wrote:
I want to replace manual awning with electric..only need the arms..what brand would you suggest?

If you do a lot of camping where it's windy, keep the manuals. Had I the option to delete the electrics, I'd do so in a heartbeat. Yes, the electrics are nice and handy, but they're =fragile=!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ctr50863
Explorer
Explorer
if I would want to keep manual awning can I get arms that are better for wind/rain?

ctr50863
Explorer
Explorer
I want to replace manual awning with electric..only need the arms..what brand would you suggest?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
Kinda like this?

EXACTLY how we do it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Right down to the S hooks around the awning roller tube :C

We NEVER roll in the awning while camping. But we do steeply angle the awning when expecting heavy rain.

IMHO it is water weight that causes the most damage to awnings, more often than wind (except for unsecured awnings that simply lift up in wind and pretzel)

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
If we are not there to monitor wind or asleep then the awning comes in. Lost count of how many awnings we've rescued for the clueless in our primary RV Park who arrive, put the awning out and then leave theirs unattended and a cell moves in and it blows 30-40 mph. Seen several wrapped over the roofs of rigs as we could not access controls and save them.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
My rule is if were away or sleeping...awning gets pulled in. Its the push of a button vs $2000+ to repair/replace. Only 2 kinds of rver's, those who have damaged an awning and those who are unaware of how "flimsy" they really are.
my .02

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I see this a lot at long term places. If you strap it down, when do you roll it up for wind? Or do you? Iโ€™d love to do it this winter but Iโ€™d worry about the wind tearing it off the TT. We currently stow the awning every night and every time we leave the TT.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can and we do, but you have to be careful not to pull it too tight because it's easy to bend an awning arm.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda like this?

Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto