cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle spacing

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
After going to an RV show this past weekend, I noticed the spacing between axles is 2 feet or more. Can someone enlighten me as to why?
Better turning, less wear ???
13 REPLIES 13

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's nothing wrong with "axel".
That is, as long as were talking about figure skating. :B

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Axle

Axle

Axle

Break

Break

Break

Sorry....:)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Axle

Axle

Axle

At least no one has used "prolly". ๐Ÿ˜‰

Prolly be OK :C:R
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
The spread axel is supposed to be easier to tow by balancing the weight a bit more on the trailer, I don't find it helps.
I do about longevity of the suspension more than tire 'scrubbing' on the corners. I recall once getting out to check clearance on a tight backin and it was scary how twisted out of alignment the axels were. I've heard of people having hanger metal fatigue and other problems with this setup from that, and looking at the time I could see why. I don't think it's an advantage at all, just another possible maintrnce problem.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Allworth wrote:
Axle

Axle

Axle

At least no one has used "prolly". ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
RoyF wrote:
Wider spacing means more twisting (there's some word for it) on tires. What was the make?

In the trucking world, we called it "scrubbing". They actually advertise "scrub-resistant" tires for spread axels.

You can twist the tires on a tandem as well, when "jacking" the trailer. It is just much easier (because of the forward location) to twist the tires on a tandem. Even normal turning "scrubs" the tires on the forward axel. Which is why many heavy trailers can LIFT that axel when not in use....saves on tire wear.
Diesel Pushers with tag axles must also lift the tag in sharp turns.

When it comes to axle placement, I just hope the chassis engineers just didn't willy-nilly space them, I hope they had a plan/reason.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Axle

Axle

Axle
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't consider 24" excessive at all. If the 5er has 15' wheels, that's 7.5" from center to bead x 2 =15", plus another 3"ยฑ for the tire x 2 = 6", that adds up to 21" without any wheel spacing and assuming the tire is only 3".

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
Wider spacing means more twisting (there's some word for it) on tires. What was the make?

In the trucking world, we called it "scrubbing". They actually advertise "scrub-resistant" tires for spread axles.

You can twist the tires on a tandem as well, when "jacking" the trailer. It is just much easier (because of the forward location) to twist the tires on a tandem. Even normal turning "scrubs" the tires on the forward axle. Which is why many heavy trailers can LIFT that axle when not in use....saves on tire wear.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
After going to an RV show this past weekend, I noticed the spacing between axles is 2 feet or more. Can someone enlighten me as to why?
Better turning, less wear ???

Worse turning.....more wear.

Spread axles have more to do with weight distribution and/or stability. Tandem vs spread axles. The pros and cons.

WHY ARE THEY DOING IT ON RVs???? Probably have to ask them....but I would assume they are trying to spread to load out. Instead of all the weight being centered over the tandems, they can move an axle forward (along with some weight)without effecting tongue weight, all while taking some weight off of each axle.

Curious. Were you looking at toy haulers?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
It actually causes a worse turning radius and more tire wear but gives better balance and stability.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think it's stability. Turning has got to be hell on the tires.