cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries

reckfield
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you do with the batteries in your 5er during winter? I live in Central OR and it can get pretty darn cold here at times. Do you leave them in the 5er and keep electricity to the converter or do you remove them and store inside? Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

some one dug up a old post, after 11 years, I am sure he figured out what to do ๐Ÿ˜‚

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Yeah apparently I need to do a better job of checking the OP date. It's not the first one I answered that was old.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

I'm not in a cold area but  I would Fully charge the battery. Disconnect the negative cable and ignore it until spring. Cold will affect thins like increasing charging times

From the Interstate Batteries website FAQ.
What causes my car battery to freeze:

NOTES: Batteries stored in a discharged state are susceptible to freezing in cold weather and sulfation. A fully charged battery will not freeze unless the temperature reaches approximately 75ยฐ F (24ยฐ C) below zero. But if discharged, it can freeze at 15ยฐ F (-9ยฐ C).

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

I disconnect my fiver from shore power, plug in my https://no.co/products/charging/genius  turn off my disconnect switch, hook up to BOTH batteries and wait till spring...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

When I had to store the 5th wheel off site I removed the batteries and stored them in the garage. That was a hassle so the last 2 winters I left them in the trailer after they were fully charged. I checked them every month and found that they were fine for the 4 months stored. So now that is my plan- leave them in even in our cold Colorado winters. Batteries are now 6 years old.

We have power where I store my FW.  I just plug in BUT I also use a lamp timer so the charger is only active about 5 or 6 hours a day.  Works for me.

Lyle

2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Zshun
Explorer
Explorer

When managing the batteries of an RV (such as the 5er) in winter in a cold area like Central Oregon, you can choose to leave the battery in the vehicle and keep it charged, or remove the battery and store it indoors. Stay in the car is simple, but need to ensure that the power supply is reliable; Take it out and store it to protect the battery better, but it needs to be checked and charged regularly. Choose the best option based on your actual usage and facility conditions.

https://www.oremabattery.com/news/how-to-store-agm-batteries-for-cold-winter-months-230368.html

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Simplygib wrote:
From Trojan:

The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/faq/maintenance.aspx
X2, I leave mine on the charger in the rig when not in use. It can get into 20's overnight here in the winter.

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
From Trojan:

The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/faq/maintenance.aspx
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Charge, disconnect and once a month charge for 24 hours.

-OR-

Add a modest solar system.

X2

Since adding solar system have not removed batteries...just check battery levels and remove snow from panels when necessary. I don't have power where I store our rig. I used to remove and leave on maintainer charger all winter. I lost two 6 volt Trojans our first year into RV'ing even though they were fully charged and disconnected. Learning curve for some -40 degree temps we can see here.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
reckfield,

It isn't cold enough here (usually) to hurt well maintained batteries.
I leave the batteries in the trailer and let the solar system maintain them. Occasionally, I have to brush the snow off panels.
A smart charger, plugged into shore power, would do the same.

Steve

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Charge, disconnect and once a month charge for 24 hours.

-OR-

Add a modest solar system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A charged up battery will stay along time without being connected... Being charged negates freezing to a big degree...

Here in Virginia I can leave mine in a charged state with my battery disconnect switch open... Other times I just leave power on my RV Trailer and it keepds the batteries up and going. If I am hooked up and keeping re-charged from the on-board converter/charger then I will check battery fluid levels on a regular basis.

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Winterize batteries Oct2009
Stay plugged in in storage?
Stay plugged in roast batteries?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman