cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed struts

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
The struts for our queen bed are shot in our 5'er and I'm considering going from 60# to 70# has anyone here done that?
20 REPLIES 20

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Like anything else nothing lasts forever. I also think the mattress was replaced with a bigger/heavier one

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
can't image why they went bad but I'd just replace them with what is there.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
The 80#er's arrived today. Installed them and they work great. I'm glad I upped the poundage

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it would probably be harder to get into than any of the outside storage. OTOH if thieves are inside they probably will have a little more time and privacy to ransack.

Give with one hand and take back with the other. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:
Those are way cool, Barney!

Not to hijack, but has anyone put a lock, or locks, on their bed platform? If so, what did you use and how did you install them?

Lyle
Not to hijack your hijack. ๐Ÿ™‚ But why would you lock the bed down? "Safe" storage?

Well, "somewhat safer" storage. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

Not to hijack, but has anyone put a lock, or locks, on their bed platform? If so, what did you use and how did you install them?

Lyle
Not to hijack your hijack. ๐Ÿ™‚ But why would you lock the bed down? "Safe" storage?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Linear actuators on Amazon.com.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Son of Norway wrote:
I always recommend that people look into replacing bed struts with linear actuators.

The project is basically the same but you will never have to lift the bed again. I push a button on my remote and the bed goes up and down by itself.

Each of my actuators has a 300 lb. rating so I can raise the bed even when there is stuff piled on it.
How much does that convenience cost? I'm thinking it would have to be a lot more than a couple of simple gas struts.

I always recommend adding basic details to your simple solution!

Such as:

Sourced from?..:@

OK! - Sounds good - (as "ryder" asks)... but what's the cost?..:h

~

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I ordered two 80# that ought to do it

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Son of Norway wrote:
I always recommend that people look into replacing bed struts with linear actuators. The project is basically the same but you will never have to lift the bed again. I push a button on my remote and the bed goes up and down by itself. Each of my actuators has a 300 lb. rating so I can raise the bed even when there is stuff piled on it.
How much does that convenience cost? I'm thinking it would have to be a lot more than a couple of simple gas struts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Went from the stock 60lb struts to 80 lb with our new king bed mattress......worked great!
cpaulsen

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We recently went from an air bed to a dense memory foam. Couldn't lift the bed by myself. The struts were old anyway and one was bad. DH ordered 2 off Amazon and put heavier lift ones on it to compensate for the added weight. Easy peasy.

We went from 100# to 110# on our queen.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I always recommend that people look into replacing bed struts with linear actuators. The project is basically the same but you will never have to lift the bed again. I push a button on my remote and the bed goes up and down by itself. Each of my actuators has a 300 lb. rating so I can raise the bed even when there is stuff piled on it.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO