cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best wheel bearing grease

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is Lucas Red N Tacky for wheel bearings?? The specs say the drop point is 540 degrees and this is above Dexters recommended range. Anyone know of a better type??
41 REPLIES 41

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:

My Opinion: The guy who bumped the thread is a spammer.

I agree. Thread closed.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Lucas Red N Tacky. I grease bearings every other year and itโ€™s been the only one that looks like it did when I packed it last. Truth be told, Iโ€™ve never had a bearing failure or seal leak even with the grease that is โ€œliquifiedโ€ after 2 years.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years I have had excellent results with synthetic grease with no drooling, dripping, leaking, squirting, etc. Worth the small extra cost to me. YEP

dedmiston
cummins2014 wrote:
FarrissE wrote:
The best RV wheel-bearing grease that I found is Plews & Edelmann LMX. It is really convenient and easy to use. It is soft enough to be applied to bearings. It does not drip easily, so it will linger where it has been applied. In addition, this grease has anti-corrosion properties that help prevent the gradual deterioration of my bearings. This is very convenient because I won't have to think about getting a replacement soon. This grease is insoluble in water, so there are times when my RV wheels are wet due to road conditions during the rainy and winter seasons. Iโ€™m always confident that the bearings are well lubricated.

This thread is pretty old ,the OP asked about Red N Tacky, some seem to be having heartburn with synthetics , I have used both Mobile 1 ,and Red N Tacky ,both have performed well.

My Opinion: The guy who bumped the thread is a spammer.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
How is Lucas Red N Tacky for wheel bearings?? The specs say the drop point is 540 degrees and this is above Dexters recommended range. Anyone know of a better type??

Lucas red and tacky works great for my use.
With five trailers (5.2k/6k/7k/8k axles) running on 28 hubs/tires/wheels anywhere from 60k-80k miles a year per trailer the the red and tacky never gave us any grief. However these trailers never sat like most rv trailers for any length of time.
I still use Lucas products and red and tacky goes in every thing on the place that has bearings.
Lots of good bearing grease brands out here.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummin2014:

Well yes, of course marketing plays a roll. I know that Ford does not manufacture Motorcraft oil, or filters, and Yamaha, and Polaris do not make their own oil, or grease. I do think these items are made to meet the standards of the company they are supplying.

I would have to think, that Timken is going to protect their reputation, when putting their name on a wheel bearing grease.

I don't think that a manufacturer can deny a warranty claim, if their name brand fluids are not used. If a proven inferior product was used, maybe??

I consider garyp4951 a standup knowledgeable guy, and he says the Timkin grease will not leak or drip (possibly separate), suggests good quality. FTG, is also knowledgeable, and uses this product, knowing Timkin would not put their name on an inferior product.

While two products, side by side, could be same (??), I'd be willing to pay a little more for one that is branded Timkin, Motorcraft, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

I know "a fool and their money, are soon parted" but I think I'll still be alright, at the end of the day.

Jerry

I have a feeling you will be just fine . ๐Ÿ™‚

I am by NO MEANS a grease guru, but I did slept a Holiday Inn Express last night :B

seriously, The only reason I use Timken is because the local truck repair guru's I know said they use it, and its good quality... AND . . I ASSUME someone with a reputation of Timken will not put their name on just any grease.. they have standards...

Been using it for many years trouble free.... like stated above, I think it is more important to have the bearings greased properly, then it is to have better grease...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummin2014:

Well yes, of course marketing plays a roll. I know that Ford does not manufacture Motorcraft oil, or filters, and Yamaha, and Polaris do not make their own oil, or grease. I do think these items are made to meet the standards of the company they are supplying.

I would have to think, that Timken is going to protect their reputation, when putting their name on a wheel bearing grease.

I don't think that a manufacturer can deny a warranty claim, if their name brand fluids are not used. If a proven inferior product was used, maybe??

I consider garyp4951 a standup knowledgeable guy, and he says the Timkin grease will not leak or drip (possibly separate), suggests good quality. FTG, is also knowledgeable, and uses this product, knowing Timkin would not put their name on an inferior product.

While two products, side by side, could be same (??), I'd be willing to pay a little more for one that is branded Timkin, Motorcraft, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

I know "a fool and their money, are soon parted" but I think I'll still be alright, at the end of the day.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Timken premium grease...a wise choice guys!!

While there are likely many good choices, an all purpose grease, is not something I'd use for severe application, just because it was in the gun.

I have 3 different lever guns, and a pistol gun, each with a quality grease, made for the intended use. Even my snowmobile suspensions, are greased with a purpose designed product for extreme low temp, and is waterproof/corrosion proof.

I hear people sometimes mention "a waste of grease"...really? In the grand scheme of things, cost of RVs, toys, etc, does cost/amount of grease matter?

Jerry

Jerry ,do you think we buy into marketing a bit on oils ,and grease , just saying.:B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
frizfreleng wrote:
laknox wrote:
My dad's usual response was "whatever's in the grease gun". :-)Lyle

After 60 years of putzing around with vehicles I will have to agree. By the way, Timken makes bearings and **** good bearings. They are not in the petroleum/lubricant business. Putting their name i=on a petroleum product sounds like marketing. I suspect their grease is no different from most any other.

I would agree, not quite 60, but 50 plus years I have been dealing with bearings, the important thing is that the bearing is pre loaded , and packed correctly . Then tightened with the correct pressure . I couldn't tell you how many different brands of grease I have used in that 50 years on bearings ,and have yet to have a bearing failure.

I do get a kick out of some of the replies here, but the last few years , the two brands as said I have used is synthetic . Mobile 1 ,and the Red N Tacky. Haven't seen any oozing . ๐Ÿ˜‰

frizfreleng
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
My dad's usual response was "whatever's in the grease gun". :-)Lyle

After 60 years of putzing around with vehicles I will have to agree. By the way, Timken makes bearings and **** good bearings. They are not in the petroleum/lubricant business. Putting their name i=on a petroleum product sounds like marketing. I suspect their grease is no different from most any other.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Timken premium grease...a wise choice guys!!

While there are likely many good choices, an all purpose grease, is not something I'd use for severe application, just because it was in the gun.

I have 3 different lever guns, and a pistol gun, each with a quality grease, made for the intended use. Even my snowmobile suspensions, are greased with a purpose designed product for extreme low temp, and is waterproof/corrosion proof.

I hear people sometimes mention "a waste of grease"...really? In the grand scheme of things, cost of RVs, toys, etc, does cost/amount of grease matter?

Jerry

^^^ that is what I use ^^^
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

This does not leak out of the grease gun or hub.