cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BFG Commercial TA reliability

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen several references to a BFG Commercial TA recall in 2012. I have been running these on my 5th wheel for 5 years now with no problem, and I'm very pleased with the price

Is the consensus still the same, that these LT tires run a close second behind the Michelins and Bridgestones?
21 REPLIES 21

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bamaman1 wrote:
Of the best places to purchase the best LT E rated rib style tires, check Costco online.

Their Bridgestone R250's are $197 after a 4 tire $70 rebate, and that's much, much cheaper than anyone else sells them for. Walmart is #2 in price.

The Michelin XPS Ribs are great and they're much, much more expensive.

I ran ribs for 6.5 years and now R250's for three years. Choosing the R250's over the Ribs based on price is a no brainer. Both are belt and suspender tires. Buy the one that cost the least. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Two of my BFG TAs failed within a month of each other, just over 3 years old (sidewall flap/delamination, held air; total tread delamination and filed claim that was rejected).
One was recalled. My Oldest BFG tire failed (tread delamination)just shy of 5 years old this June. Would NEVER BUY another one!
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Of the best places to purchase the best LT E rated rib style tires, check Costco online.

Their Bridgestone R250's are $197 after a 4 tire $70 rebate, and that's much, much cheaper than anyone else sells them for. Walmart is #2 in price.

The Michelin XPS Ribs are great and they're much, much more expensive.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charlie D. wrote:
Of course BFG replaced them even though they were on a trailer. The tires were on a nationwide recall monitored by NIHSA. Call BFG and ask if they are covered now.

Don't have to ask BFG as I now have Michelins on the trailer and Michelin rep said that if I did have any issue the tire would be covered by their warranty, which I was provided in writing.

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 35 BFG's on two 15,000# trailers and my dually. Lost one outside the recall. BFG was more than cooperative on compensating me for the tire and the damage.

CAMike
Explorer
Explorer
Had a BFG Commercial TA lose the tread and caused about $5k damage to the floor of the tailer last month. We stopped in about 300 feet from the initial tire separation event. I purchased another set because the dealer said it would look better for me on the claim. Next time I'll go elsewhere for a tire manufacturer.

Just bizarre.
2004 2500 LS Crew Cab Shortbed (LLY-Duramax with OilGuard ByPass Filtration (2 Micron) and Nicktane Cat(2 Micron)for Fuel, 2007 HitchhikerIILS 32.5LKSBG. SuperGlide 16K, Twin Honda EU2000i's

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie, Yes they knew that the tires were on my camper. Yes they were on the recall even though I had had no trouble at all with them. The tire dealer called Michelin and talked to them. They said that they could put on the ones that were semi ribbed and more agressive (can't remember the letters). Dealer said that the customer wanted rib tires and they asked if the dealer had a set of XPS's to which they said yes and Michelin told them to put them on. My BFG TA's had cost me around $750 mounted and balanced and the bill for the XPS that dealer made out for Michelin was $1330. It was an even trade out the door.

I think you will get better results talking directly to Michelin than messing with trying to get someone from BFG. There were well over a couple hundred thousand on the recall. You need to look at your tires and get the DOT date code and have it available to tell Michelin. Good luck and keep us posted.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Yeah, send BFG a email and the answer came from Michelin folks

Here is what I get when I send an email:

donotreply@bfgoodrichtires.com

and

BFGoodrich Comsumer Affeirs

Jerry
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert-
This guy is the same one who replied to all my emails.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Maybe(?) some confusion.......

The *BF Goodrich* ("BFG") tire business was sold to Michelin in 1988.

The former *BF Goodrich* company then became simply the "Goodrich Company" - and was *out* of the tire business.

For Michelin, BFG is a "second tier" line of tires.
(Whether that's good, bad, or otherwise is your discretion)..:W

~

Yeah, send BFG a email and the answer came from Michelin folks
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe(?) some confusion.......

The *BF Goodrich* ("BFG") tire business was sold to Michelin in 1988.

The former *BF Goodrich* company then became simply the "Goodrich Company" - and was *out* of the tire business.

For Michelin, BFG is a "second tier" line of tires.
(Whether that's good, bad, or otherwise is your discretion)..:W

~

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Dandy Dan wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
The recalls were for 245/75R16" and I don't remember the other size. I have had recent problems with the 225/75R16LT Commercial T/A's on my 5th wheel. One threw the tread and two had had broken belts. BFG says they are not warranted for trailer service and would not honor a warranty. Had 1 245/75R16 LT fail on my truck with a broken belt while traveling. Dealer gave me a small discount on one but I had to buy two. When the recall became public I found that both of the rear tires were within the recall but BFG would not help. The two I bought were also on the recall and I did get two replacements.

Charlie,I would question the remark about not warranting the tires on a trailer because I had purchased 4 new TA's a few months prior to the recall. They warranted them and replaced them with 4 new XPS Michelins. Even though there is considerable difference in price they were free to me mounted and balanced.Michelin owns BFG.

X2 I went thru the same thing. My TA's were 18 months old with no issues but were on the recall list. I talked directly with BFG and they knew the tires were on a trailer but replaced them with Michelins also. Costco did the work as that is where I had purchased the TA's.

Of course BFG replaced them even though they were on a trailer. The tires were on a nationwide recall monitored by NIHSA. Call BFG and ask if they are covered now.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dandy Dan wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
The recalls were for 245/75R16" and I don't remember the other size. I have had recent problems with the 225/75R16LT Commercial T/A's on my 5th wheel. One threw the tread and two had had broken belts. BFG says they are not warranted for trailer service and would not honor a warranty. Had 1 245/75R16 LT fail on my truck with a broken belt while traveling. Dealer gave me a small discount on one but I had to buy two. When the recall became public I found that both of the rear tires were within the recall but BFG would not help. The two I bought were also on the recall and I did get two replacements.

Charlie,I would question the remark about not warranting the tires on a trailer because I had purchased 4 new TA's a few months prior to the recall. They warranted them and replaced them with 4 new XPS Michelins. Even though there is considerable difference in price they were free to me mounted and balanced.Michelin owns BFG.

X2 I went thru the same thing. My TA's were 18 months old with no issues but were on the recall list. I talked directly with BFG and they knew the tires were on a trailer but replaced them with Michelins also. Costco did the work as that is where I had purchased the TA's.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:

Dandy-were the tires that were replaced with Ribs part of the recall?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The auto shop at work has had bad luck with Comm TAs ... Lots of tread separations. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!