cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blocks under Level-Up feet?

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you with a Level-Up or similar system, do you still put wood or plastic blocks under the feet?
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon
22 REPLIES 22

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
stetwood wrote:
The only time I do not use blocks is on concrete pads.

Same here or is it spose to be X2 ๐Ÿ™‚

X3 .... we use 15" X 15" Bigfoot Outrigger Pads under our Bigfoot auto leveling system jacks .... over the years we have tried the plastic lego blocks and various configurations of wooden blocks .... none work as well as the Bigfoot Outrigger Pads .... note, Bigfoot leveling systems and Bigfoot pads are made by two different, completely unrelated companies

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
A better picture and each block has a handle.

The 2X4 spanned across the width of the trailer so I could move them both from one side.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
wittmeba wrote:

A little off topic - If you look close between the wheels, you can see these are a piece of 6"X6" about 18" long cut in a trapezoid shape. There is one on each side. With a 2X4 nailed to the top I can insert/remove them both from one side which makes it convenient for blocking the wheels.

Hmmm...
I like this idea wittmeba.
Thank you for the pic.

I have a chunk of 4x6 I was going to use for chocks.
The tires are too close together on our fiver to use the pricey X-Chocks anyhoo.

The 2 by nailed on for a handle is pretty handy.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
stetwood wrote:
The only time I do not use blocks is on concrete pads.

Same here or is it spose to be X2 ๐Ÿ™‚

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
We used these in our sloped driveway and turn them over when on level ground. They are 2X8X16" long with a cross-piece nailed to 1 end. The main reason is on some soil they do increase the surface and reduce sinking.

A little off topic - If you look close between the wheels, you can see these are a piece of 6"X6" about 18" long cut in a trapezoid shape. There is one on each side. With a 2X4 nailed to the top I can insert/remove them both from one side which makes it convenient for blocking the wheels.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
I always put wood or concrete blocks under the landing feet.
Did it on the rear to save the labor having to crank the jack down so far.

Now the rears are powered by 12 volts.

Don't know why I place wood blocks under the front electric jacks.
I think someone told me the front feet are less likely to scoot if placed on wood.

Looks like I may have discovered a waste of my time fooling with wood blocks on a level pad. ๐Ÿ™‚

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I never use plastic. Always use wood. And only 2" thick on front. I do have a couple of 12" thick wood blocks. I never use those on the front. Only for use in the rear, if needed.

If I need more than 2" thick in the front, I'll get another site. Propping the front up too high is not something I ever do.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that too much block under the landing gear of a 5er can prevent you from lowering the front end enough to level the trailer. This is especially true if you tow in a slightly nose up attitude. I use to put maximum blocks under the landing gear to limit travel and wear, until once when I couldn't bring the front end down enough to level the trailer.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I put down 6- 2"H x 8"W X12"L blocks under my level-up system.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I use wood block on all the jacks and I use a wood block of 12 in just in the front jacks when is in store.In that way the front jacks stay away from the rain and dirt.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2x12x12 under all jacks on my ground control setup. Sometimes several deep if site is way off level. This means the stabailzers don't need to extend as far. Means less bounce in the trailer and the legs have the travel they need to achieve level.

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Hoppypoppy wrote:
We use wooden blocks but for a completely different reason. In doing some research on lightening, we learned that wooden blocks make our rig less susceptible to damage from nearby strikes. In layman's terms, they intercept some of the charge.
Sounds like some of my buddies who think that rubber motorcycle tires protect them from lightning.

Not the same thing at all. Nothing will protect you from a direct hit. But a ground strike can travel several feet on the ground, and the wooden blocks dissipate some of the charge, thereby causing less damage. Look it up.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I like having the wood blocks in case I get a flat, I will use them to assist in raising the camper tire off the ground...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hoppypoppy wrote:
We use wooden blocks but for a completely different reason. In doing some research on lightening, we learned that wooden blocks make our rig less susceptible to damage from nearby strikes. In layman's terms, they intercept some of the charge.
Sounds like some of my buddies who think that rubber motorcycle tires protect them from lightning.