cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes

BourbonRam
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to tell if you have self adjusting brakes without having to remove the drum? I think mine need adjusting. Just wondering before I manually adjust them.
2017 Jayco North Point 387RDFS
2017 Ram 3500 Dually, Black, CCLB, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 4X4, Aisin, 4.10, Stock, (his)
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7 V8 (hers)
Retired U.S. Army, Retired Police Officer
12 REPLIES 12

BourbonRam
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
BourbonRam wrote:
Ok. So I went under and looked at the back side of the wheels. My backing plates have two rubber plugs. I was going to remove them and look inside reference adjusting later, but while under there I found something else. Three of my four drums have grease leaking out of the bottoms onto the tire. I guess my seals are bad and now I have grease inside the drums. Wheels or drums have never been removed. Bought new February 2017. Has 2 year warranty. Need to find out now if that will be covered. No sense trying to adjust at this point.

Are these 'EZ-Lube' axles (external zerk fitting one uses to pump grease in)?
Over pump..blow seals...new brakes required

Feb 2017 started the 2 year warranty clock (date of purchase)
So YES they should be covered.
Drums can be cleaned up, Shoes need replaced, bearings S/B OK but need inspected.
Good luck!

Not sure. The wheels are 16โ€ with a center cap. Never been removed by me. Must remove wheel to inspect for that (EZ Lube). Had that system on my last tow behind but I never used it. Always removed drum, hand greased the bearings, and reinstalled with new seal. Iโ€™m going to guess since it has center caps it does not have that system.

Thanks Old-Biscuit.
2017 Ram 3500 Dually, Black, CCLB, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 4X4, Aisin, 4.10, Stock, (his)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BourbonRam wrote:
Ok. So I went under and looked at the back side of the wheels. My backing plates have two rubber plugs. I was going to remove them and look inside reference adjusting later, but while under there I found something else. Three of my four drums have grease leaking out of the bottoms onto the tire. I guess my seals are bad and now I have grease inside the drums. Wheels or drums have never been removed. Bought new February 2017. Has 2 year warranty. Need to find out now if that will be covered. No sense trying to adjust at this point.

Are these 'EZ-Lube' axles (external zerk fitting one uses to pump grease in)?
Over pump..blow seals...new brakes required

Feb 2017 started the 2 year warranty clock (date of purchase)
So YES they should be covered.
Drums can be cleaned up, Shoes need replaced, bearings S/B OK but need inspected.
Good luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Does anyone really believe the auto adjust brakes actually keep the brakes adjusted???
Yeah, they actually do a pretty decent job. Mine were all in adjustment when I pulled wheels to check bearings last year. Can't say if they all work as well, but mine worked okay.

X2 best thing I did when replacing the assemblies was spending a few dollars more for self adjusters. They work well.

BourbonRam
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Does anyone really believe the auto adjust brakes actually keep the brakes adjusted???
Yeah, they actually do a pretty decent job. Mine were all in adjustment when I pulled wheels to check bearings last year. Can't say if they all work as well, but mine worked okay.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BourbonRam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. Now I know what to look for.

Explorer II
Explorer II
fitznj wrote:
Look at the back-plate:

If there is an oblong rubber bung at the bottom than it's probably manual adjustment.
My self-adjusters have the oblong plug. As Old Biscuit said, look for the metal plate keeping the adjustment star from turning.

I adjust mine once a year by going to a large school parking lot, move forward at ~25mph and engage the the manual controller. I slowly back up and engage the controller again, move forward and do it again. I keep doing this until I notice no change, usually 3 or 4 times.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer

Ummmm - YES - read my previous post; After initial manual adjustment
- the automatic mechanism has kept my brakes adjusted perfectly. Only
time will tell if they stay that way but after 12 months - no complaints.
Gerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the back-plate:

If there is an oblong rubber bung at the bottom than it's probably manual adjustment.

My TH has auto adjustment BUT after the first 500 miles the brakes felt as it they needed adjusting. I removed the drums, clicked the adjusters and lubed everything. Brakes have worked great since.
Gerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Backside of drum at bottom is rubber plug(s)
Use strong pin point flash light beam to look inside
Star Wheel for adjustments
IF self adjusting there will be a 'plate' that is attached to a cable ...plate engages star wheel---moving it when brakes are applied (braking when going forward)

You will have to push the plate away/disengage it from star wheel in order to manually move star wheel

No plate...then brakes are non-self adjusting

Info with vid/pictures
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Easy. 99.999% of all rv trailers have do not have self-adjusting brakes. My 6 figure toy hauler has brakes that I have to adjust.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE