cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Window

Bowhunter61
Explorer
Explorer
Came back to the TH from work (staying at a campground while I work in Maryland a few weeks) and found one of my garage windows shattered. Looks like a rock hit it. I know they had been mowing around here so not sure if that is what happened or not.
Anyways, need some help and advice.
How to get it replaced? Anyone know what windows Keystone used in the Fusions? They Dometic?

Looked for some local mobile RV services and couldn't find any in my initial search.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or help that can be provided.

2015 RAM 3500 SRW
SOLD05 Dodge RAM 3500 DRW 5.9L Cummins
2010 35' Fuzion 302 Touring Edition II
2009 HD Ultra Glide Classic
2001 Polaris Sportsman 500
2005 Artic Cat 250
1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1996 Kawasaki Lakota 300
7 REPLIES 7

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Bowhunter61 wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Been there 2 times with a very similar window on my TT. Number one thing to do right now is to get a roll of tape (Blue masking or clear box tape) and carefully tape up as much as you can to keep the broken glass in place before it all falls out and makes a huge mess.

Once taped up take the one screw out and take the window to a glass shop that does windows and doors and such. They will measure and have the replacement cut and tempered and replaced in your existing frame.

One caveat that I did not know and learned the hard way. Keep the replacement glass standing vertical like it sits when installed in the trailer. If you lay it down flat it might break overnight.

Thanks, already used blue painters tape to tape the whole window. Good to go there. Good tip on transporting it back in the vertical position, I wouldn't have thought about that.

Found a local glass company, she doesn't carry tinted tempered but can get it and said she would rig me up with a temporary solution until she got it.

Thanks for all the input!!

Yes they don't carry tempered glass because they can't cut it once tempered. They send the measurements out to their supplier where it is cut first, then tempered and then sent back to them to be installed in the frame. She should be able to measure the current frame and then work with you to decide the the desired tinting before sending the order to her supplier.

One other thing that might help you at the campground that helped at my storage lot. I knew the manager would claim I signed a waiver against damage while stored. And yep as soon as I mentioned the break and the $200 to fix it he started down that path. So I calmly stated I knew there was a damage waiver and I was not asking him to pay for the repair. But I did ask if he could meet me in the middle with maybe a rent reduction for a few months. At that he perked and readily agreed to temporarily cut the rent in half for the next few months to help with the bill. You never know sometimes being creative can help.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bowhunter61
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Been there 2 times with a very similar window on my TT. Number one thing to do right now is to get a roll of tape (Blue masking or clear box tape) and carefully tape up as much as you can to keep the broken glass in place before it all falls out and makes a huge mess.

Once taped up take the one screw out and take the window to a glass shop that does windows and doors and such. They will measure and have the replacement cut and tempered and replaced in your existing frame.

One caveat that I did not know and learned the hard way. Keep the replacement glass standing vertical like it sits when installed in the trailer. If you lay it down flat it might break overnight.

Thanks, already used blue painters tape to tape the whole window. Good to go there. Good tip on transporting it back in the vertical position, I wouldn't have thought about that.

Found a local glass company, she doesn't carry tinted tempered but can get it and said she would rig me up with a temporary solution until she got it.

Thanks for all the input!!
2015 RAM 3500 SRW
2005 Artic Cat 250
1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1996 Kawasaki Lakota 300

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bowhunter61
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
When something similar happened to me I took the rig to a local glass shop who made a template of the window and sent to their supplier - took a few days for them to get the glass.

I just checked the window and window frame just slides out of the upper track after removing one screw. THis is an exit window that pushes out from the bottom and hinged on the top.
I think I will call a glass place I know and see if they can get the glass. I'm not sure how the frame separates to get the glass out and new glass in.
2015 RAM 3500 SRW
2005 Artic Cat 250
1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1996 Kawasaki Lakota 300

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Glass on the ground? Inside? CG pays for repair.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When something similar happened to me I took the rig to a local glass shop who made a template of the window and sent to their supplier - took a few days for them to get the glass.
Kevin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with CG Staff for Local Glass Company....mobile repair
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31