cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buy tires or not

bacmb
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to pick up a used open range fifth wheel on Saturday. It's a 2014, and was purchased as guest room, never been on the road since delivery. The owner says that tires look perfect, no dry rot or other bad indicators, but I'm not sure what sitting for 2 1/2 years would do. Any thoughts?
25 REPLIES 25

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
You can either be smart and replace those tires immediately or be sorry and pay more somewhere along side the road... Not worth the risk at all.. replace the tires and valve stems

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends. They are not old. Have they been sitting exposed or covered? Did one side get more exposure to the sun than the other? Are they fully inflated? Any signs of cracking? If just going from one place to another, how far? Any highway speed for any real time?

If they look decent & simply going across town type of trip, do it but make a note to self to get new before going on any real trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever plan on getting a tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) that uses screw on sensors, then get the metal valve stems.
magic43

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
The biggest issue here is that they sat in the same position on the sidewall for the past 3-4 years . . That's the worst thing for a tire.. I would swap them out before rolling down the road, consider it an insurance policy..

Tires are made to ROLL . . Not SIT. . .

^^^^ this combined with the fact that it is 99% sure they cheap china bombs to begin with.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

The biggest issue here is that they sat in the same position on the sidewall for the past 3-4 years . . That's the worst thing for a tire.. I would swap them out before rolling down the road, consider it an insurance policy..

Tires are made to ROLL . . Not SIT. . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
or take one to a dealer to have it inspected inside and out.

If the dealer says the one tire is good, does that guarantee the others are good/safe :?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Most likely the tires on it are cheap unreliable ChinaBombs such as TowKing, TowMaster etc. If so, I'd replace them regardless of their condition. If they are decent LT tires or possibly Maxxis ST tires then should be good for awhile.
I agree. I replaced the cheap Tow Max tires on my last rig after one short trip. Put some decent Maxxis or any of several American made 235/85/16 load range E...LT tires on it. I ran Michelin Ribs for 5 years and about 35,000 miles trouble free.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I own a dozen different trailers so Tires are something I deal with often. I have not bought a new tire to go on a trailer in 25 years. I buy two or three year old take off LT tires from a pick up truck that still has 5-6/32 of tread on them for less than $50 mounted. Trailer tires age put before you wear them out so putting a new tire on a trailer makes no sense to me.

X2
Bill and Joey the dog

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
That's a mathematical question. Less than $1k for 4 tires. $3-5k damage if tire blows.

I can attest to this! Buy new. Its the right thing to do.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
2014, Prolly built in 2013. The tires are more than likely 4 years old. They have never been rolled, but have sat in the sun, wind and rain for 4 years
Not a chance they are any good. Get them off now.
I wouldn't even drag it home on them. Unless you live really close.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me, it would all depend on what brand of tire is on there, when the manufacture date was, and how they look when examined closely. A Chinese made ST tire would get replaced immediately, but if they were Goodyear G614, or an LT tire with a good reputation, Michelin for example, and not in bad shape I'd run them a year or two before replacing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2013 Open Range and can tell you for a fact that the stock tires OR put on these rigs are trash! Do your family and all the other drivers on the road and immediately put new tires on that trailer. My stock tires lasted only a year and a half (12,000 miles) and 3 of the 4 separated on one trip. Luckily I had TPMS that saved us and I was able to get to a tire store immediately off the freeway. Many phone calls later to OR and I was told that they put the cheapest tires they can get away with, no matter how many buyers experience blow outs! Good luck.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post the tire brand and size along with the trailer GVWR for best answers.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely the tires on it are cheap unreliable ChinaBombs such as TowKing, TowMaster etc. If so, I'd replace them regardless of their condition. If they are decent LT tires or possibly Maxxis ST tires then should be good for awhile.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)