cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable slides

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen many trailers with cable slides now. How reliable are these and is there maintenance to them, also can they be manually retracted
8 REPLIES 8

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Cable is way better than the Lippert Schwintek gear track drive.
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We have a cable slide in the bedroom, never have a problem. Much more reliable than the schwinttec slide.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I also have an Open Range with 3 slides, and have had -o- problems in 4 years. Important to keep the slack out, which is very easy.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Open Range with three slides. No problems at all and they are easy to work on if needed. I think there was a bad batch of motor/gearboxes that caused some early problems but they have apparently been fixed.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Open Range Roamer with 3 cable slides, no problems whatsoever in the 6 years we have owned it. What I like is the slide motor and mechanism is protected inside the trailer. I would not hesitate to purchase another trailer with the slide mechanism. Can operate manually with an electric drill but we have never had an issue.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 Sundance has the Bal Accu-slide in the bedroom and we've not had any problems with ours. Our living room slide is the electric ram type. I'm not sure I would want to have the cable slide for the living area because of the amount of force required on a larger slide.

I think most problems that are reported are from a poor install at the factory. If the cables are too loose they can jump the rollers and break or jam. Other problems I'm aware of are problems with the rollers that guide the cables coming loose from being mounted in the wall improperly. Recently there has been problems with some of the gear boxes with plastic gears inside. They have found that the plastic was not a viable alternative for the steel gears and my understanding is they are now using metal gears on all the new units.

The good side is they're simple to work on if you have a problem. The cables are around $25 each if you have to replace one. They have a downloadable service manual under the web-site and youtube videos to show how to's.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

rfinley
Explorer
Explorer
No issues with our 2011 Passport. Works as it did when it was new. You need a cordless drill and the flex extensions that come with the unit to manually retract or extend the slide.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of reports of problems with them. Not as reliable as,hydraulic.